Coaster Brake Challenge #3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the no-no's for brakes, you forgot to add putting your foot up on the front tire. i've had a coupla bikes that was the only option.

one guy had to do that when he lost his chain, it's ok.

I'm going to go ride up at Reseda this afternoon, get there about 4
anyone want to meet up and ride? I'm not going to go too hard, just see if my gearing will be good enough or need to change. If you wanna meetup email me - pac1963 AT gmail DOT com

Ratpick said:
I'm going to go ride up at Reseda this afternoon, get there about 4
anyone want to meet up and ride? I'm not going to go too hard, just see if my gearing will be good enough or need to change. If you wanna meetup email me - pac1963 AT gmail DOT com

I just read this and it's almost 4 - guess I'll see you on Sunday.

Yeah I guess it was a little last minute, since I was planning to cut out of work early since Tuesday. Ha oh well.

Anyway, I rode it a little. I have 36t up front with 20 rear spun by 180mm crank.
For the most part I was good, but definitely some sections got too steep to pump. So I was had my shoes on the dirt for a while. So now I'm considering fabricating a 22 or 24 rear sprocket to step it down a lil. But most of it i could spin sitting down, so maybe lower gearing would slow me down through those sections enough that I'd regret it. Whatever. I need to go use my friends mill to fix my front sprocket since I ground out by hand and it's out of round enough that it's got a tight and loose spot as goes around. This is enough to make proper chain tension a wish and occasionally throws it. Like last Sunday when I crossed the finish line with chain hanging, which was awesome.
But bombin downhill and then lockin that coaster is pretty frigging thrilling!

Some pics:

IMG_5010_1262884217.JPG

IMG_4963_1262883997.JPG

IMG_0744_1262702338.jpg

IMG_0057_1262572884.JPG

I'm going to take this weekend off. I was doing stuntwork for Spike TV's "Ultimate Warrior" show all day yesterday, and every muscle is screaming at me for it right now. I'll be back for more punishment next week. Kill those hills, fellas!

Paul! It's supposed to rain Sunday! Argh! Let's make a big deal about it and get all stressed out! What are we going to do?!

Whatever, it's socal and it may change by then anyway. Racing in the rain would be awesome. Not sure how the trail would survive though.

Oh, and silly me last Thursday I tried to run the course and went completely different way, which was steeper climbs. I shouldn't have geared down for the race! Oh well I probably wouldn't have been much higher than 14th anyway.

Ratpick said:
Paul! It's supposed to rain Sunday! Argh! Let's make a big deal about it and get all stressed out! What are we going to do?!

Whatever, it's socal and it may change by then anyway. Racing in the rain would be awesome. Not sure how the trail would survive though.

Oh, and silly me last Thursday I tried to run the course and went completely different way, which was steeper climbs. I shouldn't have geared down for the race! Oh well I probably wouldn't have been much higher than 14th anyway.

looks like a 20%. No matter becuase we race rain or shine. So bring a towel and a change of clothes.

Yeah,

So here's how it went down:

We got the race in before all the rain came into the area, though the streams were already running pretty well. Once again, Rich triumphed, though Dingo was hot on his heels. The course was a little longer than originally thought, so instead of ten miles, those that completed all five laps did more like eighteen miles. A couple of us crashed out (me included), and decided that trying to navigate the downhill sections on compromised body parts wasn't too smart. An old guy and his daughter took exception to our use of the trails, and were informed that though their comments had been heard, we really didn't care to hear more about it. Mostly, a bunch of guys had a lot of fun, and nobody went to the hospital.

Of these 3 races, that was definitely the scariest, most difficult, most grueling and by far the most fun yet.
Watched the young cat on the Flying Pigeon eat it down one of the steep decents (sorry I don't remember his name) I narrowly missed a couple dogs, and had to put chain back on twice. But I finished and enjoyed every moment of it.

But the rains here now! Don't feel like riding much out there right now, so I'm doing some hardcore indoor training:
1264041763.jpg

Ratpick said:
Of these 3 races, that was definitely the scariest, most difficult, most grueling and by far the most fun yet.

But the rains here now! Don't feel like riding much out there right now, so I'm doing some hardcore indoor training:

I don't know if I could keep up with a severe training regimen like that, but I'm willing to try. :wink:

More pics on the way.

Good times.

Back