Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project

83122.jpg

Now that I have the the tank welded I need to make a stick shift clutch like in the picture above, but I will put it on the left side of the bike to avoid conflicts with the peddle chain, plus my throttle is on the right, which would be difficult to operate.

chainadjuster.jpg

I spent today making a pair of these really slick chain adjusters/wheel aligners. My Son was able to put so much torque on the crank that the wheel was moving in the frame. I was anticipating the engine torque doing the same thing. So these little honeys have a key that keeps them in the axle slot of the frame and you just dial in the proper chain tension and it stays, and if you remove the wheel and put it back on, it is repeatable. So I'm happy about that. I spent some time figuring out the routing of the stick shift clutch lever. It is going to be cool when it's done. I'm tired, good night.

stickshiftclutch_1.jpg
stickshiftclutch2.jpg
Here is a mock-up of the stick shift clutch lever. It's a gated shifter with a full disengaged lock-out for when I run out of gas and need to peddle to a gas station. Engage is stick forward, disengage is stick rearward. I was thinking of having a full mechanical linkage to the actual engine clutch lever but the peddle is in the way. I'm just going to keep it simple by having the lever just operate the regular clutch cable. This will save me a LOT of time.

WOW :shock: That is sweet, that tank looks like an original Harley-Davidson one :eek: By the way, nice Cobra :mrgreen:

I was looking at some old racing photos and some of the bikes of the period 100 years ago had asbestos exhaust wrapping to ward off heat and burnt fingers when tuning. I had some asbestos free woven fiberglass wrap left over from my Cobra and decided to put it to good use. You wrap the exhaust then use stainless steel safety wire and safety wire twist pliers to hold it on. Looks like all business. I like!
sidewithexwrap.jpg

exwrap.jpg

I did it! I have a working stick shift lever clutch! Super cool. I have never seen any other motorized board track racer project bike ever have this feature, so maybe this is the first one? The first picture is the start position, clutch disengaged. The second picture is engage. I didn't really know how it would actually work, but the very first time I tried it it worked fantastic. It really makes the bike.

stickshiftdone2.jpg

stickshiftdone.jpg

I put the carburetor, EFI coil, and air cleaner on. Check out the brass air cleaner I made. I'm blending in the different colors of metals effectively.
aircleaner2.jpg

aircleaner.jpg

K-dregg said:
I see what you mean by blending metals togheter, almost a shame painting it now..

This guy have a similar clutch to yours,and a lot of cool details.. :D

http://motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=823&pictureid=5128

You are not kidding! He is making a replica of a motorcycle. That has got to be a lot harder than just doing your own thing because you have to make it look and operate like the original. I'm just making things up as I go along. Yep, he beat me to the clutch, darn it! :lol:

I saw this bike in person yesterday. Its pretty sweet looking, there is a lot of cool elements. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

skillsthebarber said:
I saw this bike in person yesterday. Its pretty sweet looking, there is a lot of cool elements. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.
Thanks skills. It was good meeting you. Thanks for telling me about the tweed ride. Sounds like fun.

aircleanerfar.jpg

Here is a standing away shot so you can see how the air cleaner fills the void between engine and frame. The carburetor does NOT need to be hooked up directly to the intake manifold. You can, and I did, put a length of heater hose in between the carburetor and the intake manifold to set the carb away from the engine, and as a plus, it will add torque to your engine by increasing air velocity into the engine. In the car world they call it "tunnel ram". I have the carb about 3.5 inches farther back than stock to balance out the look of the engine area. I had this old shock fork bellows rubber lying around that I use to cover up the length of hose and cover the hose clamps for a unique and clean look. The air cleaner is a brass ash tray that I bought at a rummage sale across the street just an hour before. I thought, "I can put this to use". The stock air cleaner resides within the the brass air cleaner, but you cannot see it.

Today was productive. I finally got my Caswell gas tank epoxy sealant:

caswellsealer.jpg

This stuff is necessary if you make gas tanks. You mix it 50/50 for two minutes in a paper cup and pour it in the tank and rotate the tank for several minutes and then drain out the excess. It permanently seals all pinhole leaks and acts as a barrier against rust. There are several different products on the market that do the same thing but from the reviews I read on the internet this stuff is the best because it does not break down. It is basically "forever" in your tank. Good, forever sounds about right, because I'm willing this to my Son so he can pass it on to his one day. I got my thumb activated throttle assembly today in the mail and hooked it up. I think it will work better than a twist throttle in this application, and I mounted my engine kill switch. The throttle and the kill switch were both under $10 on Ebay. Still waiting for the #415 chain so I can button the drive up.

Here are pictures of the throttle, kill switch, and my carburetor connection. I had to make the throttle cable much shorter as the stock throttle cable that came with the kit was far too long.

IMG00242-20101108-2053.jpg

IMG00240-20101108-2052.jpg

IMG00243-20101108-2053.jpg

I love the look of this bike and you are giving me lots of inspiration. I do have some input though just looking at some things. I have a 1978 Baretta Moped that I have done a lot of tinkering with and I noticed somethings. If the carb on the engine you put on this bike does not have a separate idle jet and adjustment then changing the size of the filter or the air resistance completely throws off the mixture at idle. The engine will die upon take off with say too much air. I'm not sure how this carb works just wanted to make sure before you got really excited about that sweet air cleaner. I fought with this problem on my moped for too many hours. 2 cycles are very touchy.

Well i think that the idle adjustment screw is the ONLY thing you can adjust on these carbs other than changing jets, but thats another story.. Oh and Cobrafreak, if you haven't already locktite every bolt on that thing DO; and make sure they all are nylocks.. When you start that thing up it will do its best to shake itself to pieces.. :D

Back