Columbia Firebolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
got this from my good buddie charles. someone gave it to him but he had too many projects so he asked if i would like it and of course i said yes.

4283980882_82c032c681.jpg

with it i also got a columbia fire arrow which i planned to use for parts.

4283980050_677832df8d.jpg

so this was kinda the mockup.

4283236007_fb45406191.jpg

the fire arrow had a bendix aviation corp. lever shift 2 speed that was frozen up. so i removed it to work on and use on another project.

4283203791_230992bb9d.jpg

i bought an old spaceliner 24in fork on ebay and was looking for something to put it on and i guess you know what i decided. . . i also had an old firestone 26 x 2.125 so i threw what on with a set of old red rims with a centrix coaster hub.

4283198505_d9c9aec657.jpg

and this is its current state. . . i found an old electrical box at an antique store and decided to use it for storage.

4283944630_dc2e0d9639.jpg

i drilled some holes in the rear of the box a put in theses red led lights i got from lowes. kinda gives a rocket look at night.

4283942964_304bed5247.jpg

Firebolts are cool bikes, I've had minefor a few years now. I've been looking for a ft fender and the tank for it with no luck. Yours looks good with the spaceliner fork on it. Heres a picture of mine.
DSCN0159.jpg

these must have been a rare bike at least in northern ca because i have never seen one of these up close. i dig the low front end on yours

Very strange? I just picked up one of those frames about a month ago but I thought it was a Western flyer Newsboy Special just because that's all I had ever seen before with this frame style. Never heard of a Firebolt till now. So, now how do I tell which mine is? Any serial number info available?
IMG_0646.jpg

im sure someone else on this forum can tell you, but i have no clue. mine has a kickstand unlike the lower one in your pic. but the kickstand on yours looks like the common columbia kickstand for that era.

Those bikes are cool. Just my meaningless opinion but I'd lose the box. It hides that cool rack. Nice bike.

Here is a pic of my Firebolt. I got it from a guy in Nebraska off of Ebay. Mine is a 1962. Cool old bikes. Have a weird temptation to chop and lower it. But hope to fight that urge. To unique as is.

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

bigblockthing said:
how are you thinking of chopping and lowering?

Not sure. I don't have any money and I am without a project right now, so the only thing I could do, is chop and lower my bike. If I were to to anything it would similar to what I did with the bike I built my dad (see below). I probably wont, just becuase the frame as is, is so original that I would hate to mess with it.

IMG_5923-1.jpg

Just bought a lot of 10 bikes just to get the Firebolt. Sold all 9 others, but his is a keeper. Built in rear rack is the nuts. Placing a beehive JC Higgins Colorfast bee hive springer front end. Frame in paint right now. Fenders, chain guard, fork, tires and wheels are up for grabs. This is going rat.

flash forward - before i sold my firebolt i made a few revisions to it: two-toned it red and white and then scuffed it up a bit. Got a japanese foglight, a chainring cover i painted to match, an old columbia tank from a different model and frame. . . but it still fit! And i flipped the fork back to factory. I also switched the bars and flipped 'em and put on some old 50-60s firestone rear and gillette front tires.
4603265130_715c56b92a.jpg

Back