Cottered crank pins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I use a trick to remove the cotterpins from cottered cranks. While most avoid the cottered cranks, every bike I have now has them. Some because of the vintage, others because that's what's at the bike shop. When removing the pins, it's easiest to use new pins, but I like to get the most use out of them. They are still good unless the threads are bad or the surface is damaged. I loosen the nut a few turns with a #10 socket, then give the socket a good tap with a hammer to free the pin.
cottered%20025_zpsz1d8nrna.jpg

cottered%20027_zpscpvol9zf.jpg

That''s as long as the nut is threaded onto enough of the threads. Then I back it off more and tap until it comes out easily. The threads don't get any damage and I reuse the cotterpins.

Then, as it goes back together, remember the flat angled side of the pins line up with the flat spot on the spindle.
cottered%20038_zpsrwcuznkb.jpg
[/URL]

One pin will face the opposite direction of the other or the crank arms won't be straight in line. I drive them in with a couple whacks of the hammer before tightening the nut down. They strip easily so they don't need much torque.

Last edited:
I do a similar thing but use the bench vice and a socket to remove them. I have a homemade press to but the socket method is easier. In the 70's, when I was young and more stupider and didn't have a lot of tools I used a block of maple firewood with a hole drilled in it for an anvil and put the cotter in the hole and pounded it out. I would probably still be using a firewood anvil except for the information I have gleaned from RatRodBikes.

Latest posts

Back