Countdown to RRBBO-9! ...START!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm watching the Walking Dead, and was just wondering how to go about building a zombie themed bike without being too campy.

Carl

You can always go the other route and build a bike that one of the characters might use in the show
i have always heard but never really seen anyone properly build a bike for surviving zombies
something rugged with lots of cargo space and weapons
example: machete used in the tank area on a straight bar or hanging from the top bar
(if using a mountain bike frame)
or a bicycle gun rack like you would find on old wwII bikes
bsa_mark_v_1.jpg

Last edited:
That's what happens when you skip a year SR69!

Luke.
I know! I had the bike that I want to build this year sitting in the shed too, but I never thought to re-do it! :headbang: :banghead: :blackeye:

I'm watching the Walking Dead, and was just wondering how to go about building a zombie themed bike without being too campy. How about corroded tubes to the point of being eaten thru? How do you get that look and still be structural? Smaller stronger tubes inside, like bones? I can visualize it but I'm not sure I'm the builder that could do it... Metal zombie, rust and corrosion...

Carl.
Paint the frame bone color and use pipe insulation or something to make the flesh.

Uh o_O... talking about building is not building. I'm not building a zombie bike either. But I do like the inventiveness folks come up with on any questions pertaining to a build. That's what a forum is, a community, maybe I'll use an idea someone else has advanced, maybe someone will use one of mine. If person doesn't have the skills or the experience to build a certain section of their bike, all the more reason to BE ON A FORUM, to ask and to learn. I wouldn't judge a persons build on the level of information they got from someone else. Unless I was the guy who invented the bicycle... of course, that's just my :eek: opinion.

Carl.

For me I can say when I ask about something in a build is because I can't totally decide and I'm looking for opinions. I then will weigh those to what I was leaning towards or away from. Other times it is because I just am stumped in how to move forward with what I want to do or try to do. Sometimes others will come up with a better idea that I use. In the end I still have to build it.

I'm not taking it personal. :crazy: I also didn't see anything about being handicapped by skills or lack of... When you speak of originality, I do laugh a little. I wonder if the implementation of any ideas "borrowed" from someone else, limits the originality of a build? Every Rat on here has evolved from ideas presented by others, taken from street rodders used by necessity in the 50's. Every steampunk bike is a nod to Jules Verne. We recycle the bicycle into our own visions. Sometimes, even during a build, some of us do get into uncharted territory, and ask for opinions, options, and even directions. Should we just give up, or should we be eliminated from the competition?

Carl.

A good example now I would say is LukeTheJoker and when he was at the cross roads of what front sprocket to use. He had some what of an idea where he wanted it to go but still sought opinions that I am sure he weighed in on them and took what he wanted from it.

Sometimes the builder knows where they are heading, but just want to confirm what they are thinking already. Then other times they get and answer or idea that turns on a light and makes their build better.

Like I said they (or I) still have to build it. Still have to use the skill and resources they ( or I) have.

Unfortunately EVERYBODY gets to vote, that means the majority of the votes cast will come from people only looking at one or two final photos, they didn't follow the build threads or build anything themselves... possibly never. This is why for a couple years I have talked about a builder's choice award where only builders of finished bikes cast a vote. It would be interesting to see how it would compare to the actual winner.

I vote based on what I see during the build-off, not just at the end.

A builders choice award would be a cool one.

As far as saying a person is relying on the consensus to form their core idea for their build is a dangerous area to go unless you can read their mind or they outright tell you. We all rely on what we see and ask how to do. Even those that seem to really think outside of the box. They even draw ideas from a consensus from time to time.

You
Unfortunately EVERYBODY gets to vote, that means the majority of the votes cast will come from people only looking at one or two final photos, they didn't follow the build threads or build anything themselves... possibly never. This is why for a couple years I have talked about a builder's choice award where only builders of finished bikes cast a vote. It would be interesting to see how it would compare to the actual winner.

I vote based on what I see during the build-off, not just at the end.

You're not giving the majority here very much credit... I think most folks here know the difference between originality and copycraft. I do like the idea of a builders choice award, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be far off the general vote.

Carl.

On the topic of voting... I wonder if we'll be using the format we just used for the last Muscle Bike Build-off? Everyone who voted, had the opportunity to cast multiple votes...
Don't know if I liked it or not, maybe if the extra votes were weighted or fractional... but its not like you could vote for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It's like you put in say 3 or 5 or however many, different votes for 1st...

Carl.

You're not giving the majority here very much credit... I think most folks here know the difference between originality and copycraft.

Your idea of the majority and mine are different I believe. There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of members of this forum. The people who participate in and closely follow the build-off are hundreds. Many of the members as a whole are just looky loos, nothing wrong with that, I'm a looky loo on hot rod websites, and I don't build hot rods and maybe I couldn't. Once the voting begins, the people who followed the build-off tend to start the ball rolling voting, then it seeps into the other forums, then to Facebook and then a hit comes when the e-mail is sent to all the members that voting has begun. Many people wander in there and vote having seen the only the finished bikes for the first time.

When you say "most folks" you are probably thinking about most of the folks that you see regularly posting, which is only hundreds, and it's easy to think that way. I hope this hasn't come off as harsh, just something I've noticed. (plus, we saw last year some solicited votes from other places, which I don't appreciate)

I have absolutely no problem with builders requesting or giving each other ideas. That has been a part of the RRB Community as long as I have been on, and from what I have seen in old threads and build offs that spirit of collaborative thinking has been here from the beginning. I know that I won't hesitate to toss a few ideas on my thread to see what sticks and to get feedback. It doesn't mean that someone else is building my bike.

What gets me is when people actually have another person build parts of their build off bikes. That's totally fine if it's a build outside of the build off, but it has no place in the build off.

I am all for a Builder's Choice award in addition to the regular voting. We need to find a way to make that happen this year. No one follows the build threads like the other builders. I would value how other builders feel about my build much more than the open voting.

The build off and the build off voting generates a lot of outside interest in RRB which is a great thing. However, when the Voting Booth is opened, some builders turn to social media to drum up and drive voters to vote on their build. While it may drive every social media friend to come to site and see all of the cool builds, it's a cheap vote in my opinion, because most of those voters are one and done on the site. I have never asked an outsider for a vote and I tell friends that offer a vote to not do it. But I cannot pretend to be holier than thou though. I have been guilty of being a blatant promoter and campaigner of my build within the forum.

Back