Cover your head!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I wreaked yesterday on my old CWC and got a pretty bad concussion and really bad amnesia. I have forgotten a good portion of the last few months. It really sucks! Everybody wear a helmet if you go out riding in the snow or ice! I probably would have been fine if I had worn a helmet. Please, don't make the same mistake I did. That's the end of this public service announcement. :shock:

in 1992, i was riding my 10 speed home from a friends house in early august in temps of 100+, after i had been pushing go carts in the sun all day. i left my friends house, remember riding like 50 feet and the next thing i remembered was that a sherriffs deputy was waking me up and pulling me up out of a pool of my own blood as blood ran down my face and head from a gash on my head. in my small town at the time the deputy knew my family and my dad was allready on site. the cop and my dad loaded me into my dad's truck and i was rushed to the ER 6miles away. i was treated for my head injury, about 80% of my backside was raw with roadburns and full of imbeaded asphalt, 80% of the outside surface of my right arm from wrist to shoulder rubbed raw with roadburns and full of asphalt, a bloody nose and a cracked open skull. :shock:

TO THIS DAY, i still do not know what happened to me and i will NEVER get that 3-? minutes back! i was told i slumped over the handlebars, drifted off the road doing about 25mph and hit the side of a 3/4 ford pickup, me and my bike flying over the hood and landing feet away. after i was brought home from the hospital, i stood up in the shower as my poor mother scrubbed the asphalt from my backside and arms, trying my best not to scream or go down from the pain. ever since, i talk with aslight speech inpediment.

i swear everything in my story is true and the moral is to wear your helmet. my memory never came back, i hope the OP's does and i hope he can fully recover.

p.s. forgot to mention i had a bad concussion too, to say the least. that was not an easy story to tell, but i hope you all read it and will know better than i did. from what they told me, i was extremely lucky.

ironically enough, after that crash my mom told me the story of when i was 2 years old and riding in th echildseat on the back of her vintage 10speed (in 1979), when she wrecked, skinned her knee and i went flying, landing on my head. of course at age 2 i remember nothing, but telling me the story brought my mom to tears. no helmet then either.

When you look at a human body and see how fragile our covering is ,its amazing any of us make it to old age. Its always one minor slip and a large piece of skin goes flying off and your blood makes an escape.Hope all of you make a full recovery . With the mind ,some small memory loss isnt so bad. At 58 I forget things all the time ,and there are some periods around the late 60's that I have forgotten all together . I don't think there were any bike crashes involved. :roll: :lol:

I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. You are lucky. I have owned countless bicycle helmets over the years. Every one of them was retired with a dent or scratch of some kind that would have been a head injury of some kind.

I love my helmets.

Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet Wear a helmet

Hey Langsmer, you got that $20.00 I lent you a few months back?

:mrgreen:

In all seriousness, hope you get your memory back soon. I've whacked my noggin' a few times and it's never any fun. My kids know the one hard and fast rule I have...no helmet, no riding.
Be safe- Pete

Best wishes!

My uncle wrecked on a motorcycle a couple years ago and was in a coma for several months. He's self-employed (business owner), so of course not only did it take time to get body and mind on track but the business as well.

He made quite a recovery and I hope you do the same!

OH My lord. :( I hope your okay! I just said a prayer.. I wapped my head pretty good once, i tried 2 catwalk my old roadbike i had, i came down and the wheel was sideways, sent me flying.. My head bounced off the pavement ;x it SUCKED.

for me it woulda been better if i knew what happened to me. after i crashed, i never looked at drop bar 10 speeds the same again. the bike i crashed was a 90' roadmaster 10 speed road bike (roadmaster, kinda ironic don't you think). the only time i ever even sit on a dropbar bike is whaen i road race (or used to), and it's been awhile.

Hope all is well with you...

Crashed once on my skiptooth bike...chain snapped, and i went down...head first basically.
Got up, looked at my chain down the road and called my dad to pick me up. I was fine

oh and of course i got the chain...but, im selling the bike now :lol:

I'd like to find a helmet that doesn't make me look more like the dweeb that I already am. :roll:

I usually don't wear one riding around my neighborhood, but I probably should.

yeah, im guilty of that myself. on a cruiser (98% of all my riding) i usually don't wear one, but if i go boonie stompin in my backyard (litterally miles of tracks across the street from my rural house up from a parK) or get on a skinnytired roadbike (which i havent in a few years) i strap one on.

langsmer said:
Thanks guys. I'm about back to %100 now. Wear those helmets!

thats good to hear dude!....

i think i got to get me a helmet.... need to stay in one piece at least until 60. for my wife and kids sake.

regards,
concerned biker from wayyyy over here in SIngapore!

Rat Rod said:
I'd like to find a helmet that doesn't make me look more like the dweeb that I already am. :roll:

same here! don't need anymore help in the dweeb dept.! haha..

anywez, all this talk about helmets leads me to wonder....

does anyone here have cool "rat" helmet ideas? pictures would help...

perhaps if the helmets got rattier, more peeps would wear them?

Latest posts

Back