Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams... funny stories

Harold_B said:
Fork looks funky but might just be the photo. Otherwise not bad. One of these days I'll actually be able to snag something....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/3681214383.html

Fork probably is bent, but that price seems right, it's a skiptooth, it has a tank, and the fork can probably be fixed, being rideable and "or best offer" it just takes the first person there to get that bike at a good price.

largek9 said:
largek9 said:
Now this is wild! :shock:

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bik/3673391897.html

"THIS BIKE HAS BEEN IN STORAGE SINCE 1955 AND JUST CAME OUT!!!!
THE ORIGINAL OWNER BOUGHT THIS IN 1947 AND STORED IT ALL THAT TIME...CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?
ORIGINAL PAINT. LITE, LUGGAGE RACK LEATHER SEAT AND ALL..THE HORN IS BUILT IN TO THE CROSS BAR.
ANYWAY, THIS IS FOR THE RICH PERSON WHO HAS IT ALL"

3G93o13H15G55K65Fed3b419bc860c3b61b3e_zpsb787ba6c.jpg

Busted! Somebody posted this on C/L in response to the ad. The orginal price had already dropped by $500.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bik/3680059006.html

Update: Reality sets in....! :lol:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bik/3682492232.html

"NEW GENERATION 1947 COLUMBIA CRUISER - $375"

yoothgeye said:
Harold_B said:
Fork looks funky but might just be the photo. Otherwise not bad. One of these days I'll actually be able to snag something....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/3681214383.html

Fork probably is bent, but that price seems right, it's a skiptooth, it has a tank, and the fork can probably be fixed, being rideable and "or best offer" it just takes the first person there to get that bike at a good price.

That was fast. Post is deleted already! Somebody scored.

When I was growing up I remember someone told me (speaking of furniture) that to be an antique it had to be at least 30 years old. Sounds a little "young" but I think that's a decent guide.

La Jolla... definitely not an antique. :roll:

I'm an antique plus 6 years, now, a lot of "older" people wouldn't call a 1976 Mustang II an antique, but I think it qualifies. I was at the middle school this morning and the kids were telling me how OLD my Jeep is (1993 Grand Cherokee) :lol:

So, I think people need some sort of standard guide and I'm going to argue for anything 30 years or older being an antique.

As for things being "vintage" let's just leave that word to wines.

LukeTheJoker said:
I thought 30 years old was classic and 50 was antique?

Luke.

I wouldn't try to use a word like "classic" based on it's definition: "Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind." To say something 30 years old is a classic is a little too broad, for example 1983 was 30 years ago (hard to believe right?) so for example, a 1983 Chevy Citation 4 door. Classic? No. Old, yes.

Of course, if you look at the definition for antique, you get "A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age."

So to be an antique it has to be old AND valuable. All things are relative now and value is in the eye old the beholder, but "considerable age"? I guess that depends on how old you are. haha

I think people who say 30 years is classic and 50 years is antique are referring to cars, but they wouldn't put classic on just ANY 30 year old car.

Let's just say antique is old, plenty of antiques are worthless. Classic, that's if it truly has class. And once again, vintage "The year or place in which wine, esp. wine of high quality, was produced." It has to refer to high quality if you are going to use it, something just being old doesn't make it vintage, and to use the word correctly you'd also need a date to go along with it. Such as "Vintage 1970 Schwinn Stingray."

I'm sure this could all be argued all day long. haha

Dennis: It this is a good idea, let's just come back tomorrow.

Arnie: Do you realize she's 20 years old? that makes her officially an antique.

Dennis: Great. Darnell's junkyard is full of official antiques.

Arnie: I'm buying her. I don't care what you say.

The above movie quote above is what everyone I know considers antique for cars including the state of Florida. Also collectible & such.

I always go by the following guide.
1 year old or less = new
5 years old = inexpensive
10 years old = cool
15 years old = collectable
25 years old = old
50 years old = antique
75 years old = vintage
100 years old = classic
more than 100 years = relic

Personally I try not to over use those words and instead I say something with a specific year or at least a year range such as: "1948 Schwinn" or "Late '40's - early '50's" if I don't know for certain.

Are you talking about bikes, or people? :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
1 year old or less = new
10 years old = cool
25 years old = old
50 years old = antique
75 years old = vintage
100 years old = classic

Personally I try not to over use those words and instead I say something with a specific year or at least a year range such as: "1948 Schwinn" or "Late '40's - early '50's" if I don't know for certain.

kngtmat said:
Dennis: It this is a good idea, let's just come back tomorrow.

Arnie: Do you realize she's 20 years old? that makes her officially an antique.

Dennis: Great. Darnell's junkyard is full of official antiques.

Arnie: I'm buying her. I don't care what you say.

The above movie quote above is what everyone I know considers antique for cars including the state of Florida. Also collectible & such.

I wish this board had a "rep" feature. 8)

I think that words like "antique" and "vintage" are just the latest examples of words being diluted away from their original meanings, possibly from either overuse or abuse. There's a few more I can think of, but I want to keep it light......

clerkkent said:
Are you talking about bikes, or people? :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
1 year old or less = new
10 years old = cool
25 years old = old
50 years old = antique
75 years old = vintage
100 years old = classic

Bikes, cars, I guess it works for people too. I'm old :oops:

Back