Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams... funny stories

6DODGE6RAM6 said:

Has anyone ever paid $1000 for an old women's frame bicycle? Just wondering, I did pick up a pre-war Schwinn women's bike, the guy was asking $350 and I told him that was high for a women's bike, then I traded him an old gold necklace for it that was "appraised" at a pawn shop for $70... my kids found it in a parking lot, haha.

On the other side of the coin, I responded to three different CL posts from sellers selling bike parts, who were all garage mechanics, based on the number of tools and bikes strewn about their respective places.

first one: went to inquire about some 26" tires. He shows me a bunch, including some he's had a hard time actually installing. I see the "1 3/4" on the tires, and mention they are Schwinn S-7 tires.. he had a blank look on his face.. so I explain the "1 3/4 does not equal 1.75" background of the S-7, and mention S-5 and S-6.
*seems to me a self appointed bike expert should have at least awareness of Special Schwinn tires*

second one: responded to a cruiser bike frame post of which I asked if it was 26" or 24" to which the seller said 26". so I go over there and see the frame, and it looks a little small. I ask to confirm it is a 26". "Oh yeah.. see.." and he grabs a 26" wheel *without* a tire, and puts in the dropouts.. there is about an inch of gap between the rim and fender. *seems to me a self appointed bike expert should have awareness of wheel diameters INCLUDE the tire*

third one: I responded to an ad about a wheelset for "Single speed cruiser", and the pic was a bit grainy, but single speed cruiser means coaster brake in my world.. so I go over to the seller's place, and he presents a mt bike wheels set sans freewheel. I ask "Where is the the single speed cruiser wheel?".. he says "this is it, you can put a single gear on the hub." time waster.

These three incidents remind me to be extra inquisitive about posts, even for seemingly innocuous parts.

Yeah, the thing is, I've only been "back" into bikes just over 3 years, but before that I would have considered myself a "bike expert" based on comparing it to people that know nothing about bikes, but really, I'm still learning.

I make sure and ask LOTS of questions since normally nothing is close enough for sale for me to just pop on over, a trip is usually involved and I don't want to be surprised after spending gas money.

yoothgeye said:
6DODGE6RAM6 said:

Has anyone ever paid $1000 for an old women's frame bicycle? Just wondering, I did pick up a pre-war Schwinn women's bike, the guy was asking $350 and I told him that was high for a women's bike, then I traded him an old gold necklace for it that was "appraised" at a pawn shop for $70... my kids found it in a parking lot, haha.

That looks *exactly* like the Huffy-built Firestone 500 I bought for my wife for $40. Make mine all nice'n shiny...yeah, that's worth a $960 upcharge. :roll:

:shock:

I know its not bike related , and I know its not a craigslist ad ( I tried to find the listing on cl that the article mentions-- no luck )

Well , anyways.....

epic fail ? or no? I say YES! :lol:

http://dailynewsdig.com/cool-or-crazy-1 ... l-rat-rod/

junknutz1975 said:

I know its not bike related , and I know its not a craigslist ad ( I tried to find the listing on cl that the article mentions-- no luck )

Well , anyways.....

epic fail ? or no? I say YES! :lol:

http://dailynewsdig.com/cool-or-crazy-1 ... l-rat-rod/
What a waste of a nice International cab!

Luke.

Back