Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your own Star Destroyer bike float.....for FREE. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/zip/4851186794.html

star-destroyer-rear1.jpg

Gotta agree with CeeBee, love the show but since they have been on air some folks seem to think their 1911 cloths pin is worth hundreds. Still can't help but to watch every week to see what they find, and

BARTO

I have posted my first bike for sale on Craig's list I never realized they would be so many people wanting to send cashiers checks and ect. Is there anyway of preventing this or just continue ignoring them.

I have posted my first bike for sale on Craig's list I never realized they would be so many people wanting to send cashiers checks and ect. Is there anyway of preventing this or just continue ignoring them.

You will start to see the pattern to these spams. One thing that I add to the description of all of my CL ads are this.

If you see any of my listings still posted, then the item is still available! Too many SPAM bots do nothing but ask if something is available, so please ask more in your response, so that I know you are a human and not a Nigerian bank scheme. Thanks,
CASH ONLY​

A lot of people will do the "Im sending so and so in my place and mailing blah blah blah" thats a load of malarky as well ;)

I always add the following note to my Craigslist ad -
"PLEASE NOTE: No trades (except for cash) and no, I won't hold it for your assistant or take a cashier's check. Phish elsewhere, thank you. Scammers will be given incorrect information and directions, and if you ask me to send info to a different E-mail address than you sent from, no matter how good your story is I'll consider it spam and delete it."
There are 3 red flags I look for in a response to my ads that signal probable Phishing or spamming. 1-when they refer to what you're selling as "the item" as in "Is your item still for sale" 2- When they tell you to respond to a different e-mail than they sent their reply from. 3-When the story doesn't quite match the item you're selling, like the one person that said after his wife's chemotherapy they would be in my area with cash that day...for my huge and heavy pedicab. All they needed was my phone and address mailed to a different E-mail account.
Another stated that they were a marine biologist working offshore and would gladly pay with a cashier's check plus 20% if I gave them all my information and removed the ad. Their people would then come and pick up the item. I told them to have their people cash the check at a local bank and tip themselves the extra 20% and to lat me know when they have the cash. They get a tip, I get cash, you get the item. It's a win/win.
Never heard from them again.
I've said it before, Craigslist is worth every penny you pay for it. :cool2:

Thank you for the advice kingfish and F Z I will add more to my listing hopefully it will help. It had only been listed a hour and someone or something had already agreed to price and was wanting to send a check and shipping arrangements.

Is it safe to use PayPal with Craigslist ?
Thank you also bigcam did not see you post till after I posted. Some good info you give.

Last edited:
Back