Cricket Ain't No Rat (she's a Lady) 73 Collegiate Commuter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haha No she kind of is a rat rod. And I mean no offense fellow rat rod lovers.

Anyways I finished restoring/modding the heck out of my 1973 Schwinn Collegiate. Well for the time being, there's always work do be done and I am certainly no professional bike mechanic.
DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1159.jpg

She was saved from a barn for a bit o cash and brought home covered in rain, rust, and all the other crud you accumulate from sitting in a barn 30-some years.

I swapped the rusted-beyond-saving fenders for some english 3-speed style ones (from a huffy? i don't really know) I wanted more of the vintage look anyways so I like them better. Plus come on, that cool little front fender nose tip? Awesome.

Pre-work. You can see the rust on the spoke protector, rims, a bit on the neck, pretty much everything thats chrome. :b
DSCN1006.jpg

The paint was real cloudy, here's a before (top tube) and after (bottom tube) after using Tutle Wax Color Back.
DSCN1051.jpg

The head light was a trial! I took it from my dad's beater Hercules. The chrome on the main housing was so bad it was flaking off. I ground and sanded it clean and repainted it a lovely cream. Then I retrofitted an led light for it following bikeriderx's approach.
DSCN1164.jpg

and the almighty power of navel jelly.
DSCN1055.jpg

But Cricket doesn't care about any of this. She just wants to go for a ride. :D
DSCN1161.jpg

Oh! Before I forget, there's an old Sears-Roebuck sitting in the garage that's got white pedals. I'm thinking of swapping mine for them. Thoughts?

Hahaha! The rear wheel's a little crooked or something, so the little fringies on the new tire brush the fender and it sounds like a quiet little cricket. She seems to have chosen her own name.
But maybe she'll need a new one after more breaking in. :wink:

Nice!

What kind of bag is that?

It does look cool.

If the white on the pedals matches the headlight I say go for it.

That bag looks great on the bike too.

Markm said:
Looks Great!!!!!
8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

Thanks! See the fenders? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

aaronarthur said:
Nice!

What kind of bag is that?

It's a swiss army ammunition bag. While hunting around for a good army surplus bag i simultaneously found this and this. Had to take the cheeper route there. heh

Rat Rod said:
It does look cool.

If the white on the pedals matches the headlight I say go for it.

That bag looks great on the bike too.

Thanks! I think I'll try it out tomorrow. I'm a bit worried about how fast they'll get dirty though.

Works great too. :wink: Gunna get a folding basket for the other side

Cool bag. Would you mind showing us how you have the it attached? Is there anything supporting the bottom, or keeping it from swinging into the spokes? I like this idea of alternative (and affordable) pannier bags. I'm going to have to search out some more examples now. Thanks!

Lookin' fine!

katezila said:
The head light was a trial! I took it from my dad's beater Hercules. The chrome on the main housing was so bad it was flaking off. I ground and sanded it clean and repainted it a lovely cream. Then I retrofitted an led light for it following bikeriderx's approach.
DSCN1164.jpg
Looks great! I'm glad I could help! :mrgreen:

Back