CRUISER 7 - NOW A KLUNKER 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This one was listed on the CL a couple of weeks ago with a phone number and a request to text offers.

I said I'd give $100 for it and pick it up that day. After several texts back and forth the seller wanted to wait and see what other offers he got.

Today I sent the seller a text saying my offer still stood for $100 and he wrote back saying it was mine if I could pick it up today. Turned out to be about 15 minutes from my office so I grabbed it on the way home.

Rust on the chrome, paint is scratched and oxidized and the front fender has dents, but it rides, shifts and stops perfectly.

May have to give it a makeover or use the wheel set for another project down the road.

huzerepu.jpg

8e6apevy.jpg

epeqenut.jpg

Re: CRUISER 7

Great deal with the N7 for sure!!

I've had one of these a few years ago in similar shape.

I ended up taking the wheel set off and giving them to my Dad and then I threw a cheap set of single speed wheels on it and resold it on the CL for what I originally paid for it.

They show up from time to time at all different prices. If they are cheap, the trick is being the first to respond. :wink:

Danimal said:
Good deal. I would strip the wheel set and resell it.

+!
Some people prefer that thumb shifter to the grip shift too.

I don't really care for the thumb shifter myself because having to press the button on top to down shift is awkward.

Rat Rod said:
I don't really care for the thumb shifter myself because having to press the button on top to down shift is awkward.

Use your thumb for the lever and your finger for the button.

Yeah I know...I've had 3 or 4 of them over the years and every time I swap it for a twist grip.

Just seems a lot quicker than pressing a button....but maybe it's just me. :mrgreen:

I would absolutely love to get that shifter! :shock: What do you have to have for it! LMK :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
I've had one of these a few years ago in similar shape.

I ended up taking the wheel set off and giving them to my Dad and then I threw a cheap set of single speed wheels on it and resold it on the CL for what I originally paid for it.

They show up from time to time at all different prices. If they are cheap, the trick is being the first to respond. :wink:

I did the same thing. Resold the bike as a single speed and installed the wheels on this Ludwig rig for my lady.

Nice old Schwinn. A '40 frame with '41 graphics. Actually, I believe those graphics came out half way through '40 production. Gary

I decided to rework the Cruiser 7 this weekend with parts that I had on hand. The only thing I didn't have already were the cheapo DK pedals that I bought from Walmart for $10.

At first I swapped out a smaller seat, but it was pretty uncomfortable so I threw the stocker back on for now....it's 42 year old man friendly. :lol:

It took quite a bit of digging through the old part bins, but I'm pretty pleased how it came out.

So here's what I started with...

huzerepu.jpg

And here's after the klunker-ish makeover.

741v.jpg

prs4.jpg

bgk2.jpg

v3ex.jpg

tu1r.jpg

tnu1.jpg

Rat Rod said:

I wonder if a Shimano 7 speed dual trigger shifter would work with the Nexus hub? These are my favorite style of shifter. Looks like Nexus tried to copy it and failed horribly. My KHS and Diamondback both had variations of these shifters.

I've already worked out a deal with member Slick Rick.

I'll be receiving a new Nexus Revo twist grip shifter and he'll be getting this thumb shifter. :D

Latest posts

Back