Cruiser Opinions...Huffy vs. Kent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night after months of prodding i finally got the wife on one of my bikes. She rode my old Murray Monterey cruiser but now wants her own. She needs a 24in. cruiser. What we are debating over is the low end Wally models of the 89.00 Huffy Cranbrook or the 99.00 Kent La Jolla. I think the Huffy is the best choice due to simplicity and common parts makeup. Not much different than a 30 year old bike. The Kents are pretty but are aluminum and have 3 piece cranks which i dont like. The only Kents i ever had were kids bikes and they were crap.

What would be the best choice between the Two?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-La-Jolla ... e/17206791

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Huffy-Cran ... e/19799025

Peatbog said:
For the price, I'd go with whichever bike she likes better. That is one way to keep her riding.

She loves my old rusty Monterey but its just too big. I told her finding a used 24 would be impossible. I myself am happy she finally took up an interest in riding so i dont mind getting her a brand new bike. I can ride something out of the trashpile and be just as happy but i want her to have something nice.

How often do you plan to carry it (stairs, load in car, etc.) as opposed to riding it? The LaJolla is a light bike if you need to move it around much.

I'm redoing an old Wards Hawthorne 24 incher that I got for $20 for my Mom for Christmas. Took off the vintage seat and all the skiptooth stuff to sell to make my money back, and replaced it with modern components that will be easier to fix if needed. Mom gets a nice shiny bike, and I'll clear $50 on the deal (if you don't include the 100 hours of labor I've got sunk into it...)

Bought a La Jolla for a friend a few years back, much better quality than a Cranbrook IMO, and lighter to boot. The old cotter crank Kents were not the same animal.

I love my Kent Gripper (cotter cranked) but that’s a roadie.

I like the La Jolla. It is funny or odd that the pieces that used to be aluminum on older bicycles are steel on new bikes and frame that used to be steel is aluminum. The La Jolla gets my vote, but it is up to your wife. What does she think? The Cranbrook is popular for it pastel paint and built in rack, fenders and comfy seat. I picked up a Cranbrook once and though I had at least scored wheels, but I was not impressed. I saved the fenders and tossed the rest.

The other big factor is how does she feels on each bike? Is the reach ok, can you change anything that can make it more comfortable? Does she feel like she is bumping her knees into her hands when turning? Does she want to be able to stand flat on her feet when she is still sitting on the seat?

By the way, Kent used to be Krap, but my friend picked up a Kent mountain bike for his son and had me assemble it and it wasn't terrible. There was one part missing. My friend called the number on the placard and spoke to a real person that sent the part out in time for the bike to ready to ride for Christmas.

Good job Kent.

The last bike I got for the wife ,Schwinn classic AL, was a rebuild and she ranted and raved after the first ride how nice it was and a really cool bike, she love's it!
Sadley that was also the last ride she's taken on it, now just watching netflix re-runs again....Oh well, I wish you luck my bro!

I like the La Jolla. It is funny or odd that the pieces that used to be aluminum on older bicycles are steel on new bikes and frame that used to be steel is aluminum. The La Jolla gets my vote, but it is up to your wife. What does she think? The Cranbrook is popular for it pastel paint and built in rack, fenders and comfy seat. I picked up a Cranbrook once and though I had at least scored wheels, but I was not impressed. I saved the fenders and tossed the rest.

The other big factor is how does she feels on each bike? Is the reach ok, can you change anything that can make it more comfortable? Does she feel like she is bumping her knees into her hands when turning? Does she want to be able to stand flat on her feet when she is still sitting on the seat?

By the way, Kent used to be Krap, but my friend picked up a Kent mountain bike for his son and had me assemble it and it wasn't terrible. There was one part missing. My friend called the number on the placard and spoke to a real person that sent the part out in time for the bike to ready to ride for Christmas.

Good job Kent.
Honestly I think Kent Cycles gets an undeserved bad reputation due to their products being sold in chain stores and sometimes being put together by people that are under duress to assemble them.
I also have a Gran Concourse (which, like the aforementioned Gripper is also vintage and a lugged frame) not to mention a few other of their more recent offerings (in other words mass produced and rebadged under other acquired marquees). But as far as quality goes, like anything else if maintained, their products aren’t all that bad (but this is just my experience).

As time goes on I’ll slowly reveal them one by one as I do mods/restos…😉

I was in Wally World yesterday picking up some inner tubes. I am shocked at how inexpensive some of these bikes are. Some of the adult cruisers mentioned above were $98. It’s been on my mind ever since. Such mixed feelings. Great that they are so affordable, but also at that point they are just disposable. If it ever breaks, it would be cheaper to toss it and buy a new one rather than get it repaired. Part of what I love about this hobby is the recycling and re-using aspect. I guess the reason so many bikes are tossed, is because of the low price of these department store bikes. It’s great for bikes to be so affordable , but such a shame so many bikes are tossed.

Great that they are so affordable, but also at that point they are just disposable. If it ever breaks, it would be cheaper to toss it and buy a new one rather than get it repaired.
Bah that's only its first life. From the trash to ratrod bikes is its rebirth to cool

To be honest I find phreaking the newer big box store bikes (don’t they all come in boxes?) to be a bit easier. Also I don’t miss selling or giving away those at times because I can usually find another if I look hard enough.

Latest posts

Back