Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
second build ? after this "tall frame#small wheels" are you gonna make a "Tall wheels/small frame" :D ?
Nope! I still have a gap in my MiniVelo collection after this one is done, thinking about building a bike to fill it...

Luke.

Nope! I still have a gap in my MiniVelo collection after this one is done, thinking about building a bike to fill it...

Luke.

Is that sort of like a Micro Machines Collection?
hot-wheels-micro-machines.jpg

I can't wait to see you build a mini-velo version of Big Jim. :D:p

Dropped in the local powder coaters today and they quoted me $70 to do a frame and fork, pretty happy with that, so looks like this baby will be getting the powder treatment!

Also accidentally picked up a pair of wheels and tires for another build... Ooops! :oops:

Luke.

So, the planning for the second build is well underway, tires and wheels are here, many, many mock-ups have been drawn, just need to buy some steel and start building, but I will be completely finishing the Joker build first.

In the meantime, I picked up some more items for the second build today:

14300188093_88a22ff2cf_z.jpg

I wonder if anyone can work out what I am doing? :39:

Luke.

So, the planning for the second build is well underway, tires and wheels are here, many, many mock-ups have been drawn, just need to buy some steel and start building, but I will be completely finishing the Joker build first.

Luke.
Maybe your building some hubs...

Maybe your building some hubs...
Not a bad guess Drac! I did make it a bit hard putting the bearings in the same shot... The bearings are indeed for the wheel hubs, but I will not be making the hubs, these are just replacements...

Here are the wheels for the new build:

14094167248_7e11990df4_z.jpg

14 inch mini trailbike rear wheels with 90/100 tires. Works out to 21x3.75 in bicycle terms.

The other items in that photo are 8 replacement 1/2 inch nylon bushings for trailer leafsprings, they just happen to be a perfect fit inside a piece of medium wall tubing I have here and a perfect fit for a 1/2 inch bolt through the middle, they should work nicely as the bushings on a homemade springer fork that looks a little like a Girvin...

A rough mock-up of what the build may end up like:

14094282847_5cb8bbb393_o.jpg

I did think about making it full suspension, and have gathered everything here to do it but I actually prefer to ride hardtail, so why add extra complexity and weight when I will lock it out most of the time anyway?

So when these two builds are done and combined with the 120 MiniVelo road/racer I already have, I will have a full set of MiniVelo's ready for any conditions or terrain... ;)

Luke.

u9ebu6uj.jpg

This should inspire you Luke...
I love that picture, that bike has more in common with my first MiniVelo though than this next one... ;) This one will probably be the lowest average geared but I am planning for a dérailleur rear set up, so should have the variety to make it work.

Luke.

Drew up another mock-up for the next build, this one is more traditional MTB/BMX inspired:

14263669536_192cbe9158.jpg

I think it may look better than this one?

14094282847_5cb8bbb393_o.jpg

The first frame is more simple, while the second one appears complicated and fights with the wheels for attention... What do you guys think?

Luke.

This is gonna be cool! Are those Kawasaki KX 65 wheels?
I have no idea, I think probably more likely to be of Chinese origin though, cost me $55 for the pair including extra brake discs to cut up and modify for the drive adapter... I may end up getting two new tires for them when I get it riding, the front one has some knobs missing on one side and the rear is a bit worn down, new tires are cheap for these but just want to make sure the idea works before I spend money on them... ;)

Was planning to finish off the Joker build today, ready for powder, but it has topped out at 12 degrees, 100% humidity and drizzling, even though my work area is undercover, that is not really inspiring to work in... :headbang:

Guess I am stuck inside with the heater going doing virtual mock-ups...

Luke.

Luke.
This is steal,pvc or rubber ? hard to see and guess

Back