D.I.Y tube roller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could reverse engineer mine to get ideas and adapt it to the scraps you have on hand :idea:
roller.jpg

OCD, how did you make the dies?

I used 3 layers of oak, bolted the centre to the table of a bandsaw to cut the round blanks. I glued/bolted the blanks together to make a solid piece. I set the table saw blade to a 45 degree angle, held the flat side against the tablesaw fence, then made cuts on each side of the blank, turning as I went, until a 90 degree groove was made all the way around the die. Does that make sense? Sorry, no pics of the process :mrgreen:

I don't have additional pics but will take some for you. Not saying my way is the only way, or best way, I just looked at the scrap metal I had around the shop and designed it with that in mind. Have a look at the Harbour Freight site, theirs is not too expensive (for me shipping it to Canada may have cost more than the roller) and will likely give you another perspective on how to build one. The metal dies are the hardest part to make unless you (or a friend) have access to a lathe. As my dies are wooden, I wouldn't try anything over 1" diameter, but it does give you a nice even arc even if you tweek things after using other means.

OCD, I Am a cnc machinist. I have access both to a cnc mill and lathes we also have a full fab shop. So making my dies wouldn't be a problem. I was thinking about using some pulleys for the dies, instead of making my own. Would you think that will work?

OCD, that's a cool machine you built. I'm a retired machinist and love seeing homemade contraptions like you built. Especially ones that work! Gary

Just finished mine yesterday night, did a test to see if the welds held up, and they did. :D
Not as great and good looking as your roller OCD (that thing is awesome and beautiful), but more rattier.
Check it out:

Now, I´m of to the beach to get some sand and fill that tube!! Boy I´m happy!! :D :D :D

OCD that roller is amazing. :lol: i wanna see close ups of everything you engineered on it so i can make my own. :lol: but seriosuly. pics. please.

Thanks!!
mmm... thanks? my dad said the same thing, but he put an ugly face wile he was saying it. :lol:

No, really coming from you, I´m more than honoured.
That thing is ugly, ratty and looks more like a medieval weapon, but it works great and costed me around 25 bucks.
Now we´ll have to see what can I build with it :D :roll: :wink:

Gdcast said:
Just finished mine yesterday night, did a test to see if the welds held up, and they did. :D
Not as great and good looking as your roller OCD (that thing is awesome and beautiful), but more rattier.
Check it out:

Now, I´m of to the beach to get some sand and fill that tube!! Boy I´m happy!! :D :D :D

that is sweet. what are those wheels from?

just steel casters(btw thats not mine its some one on the hambs).....
and gdcast....i made a bender like yours awhile back and id suggest welding a piece of tube about a foot long(for leverage/stability) on the back under the handle at about 45 degrees to keep it stable when youre bending otherwise itll kink stuff easily if it doesnt have steady pressure :wink:

Thanks for the advise Sensor, the hole devise it self has more parts than those shown in the picture actually, I was just checking if the important welded parts held the pressure. I´ll take a pic of the hole thing as soon as I can.

I´m worried about the actual tube getting marked by the wheel, due to it being smaller than the diameter of the actual tube. Probably that wont happen once it gets filed with sand (at least it´s what I read) but I have doubts. Can´t wait to run some tests! :mrgreen:

Back