Daily commuter change of clothes options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ride so far

I commute daily on this beast, I use a backpack to carry my office clothes... Its 100+ outside, the backpack hits about 120 by the end of the ride.
I need some options that wont reverse the attitude Ive built into this bike.

Any examples?

How far is your commute? I ride everyday but have racks to take my lunch and such. I get to where shorts and flip flops too work so the heat is not too bad. The biggest thing is just to ride at a pace to minimize the sweat.

Black leather saddle bags and a rack ? I know the feeling of a hot commute but we make up for it in the winter at-20 sometimes.
1211090723.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-08-17

Your best bet would be a rack and some sort of bag, either a pannier/saddlebag or a trunk bag. You can get either one for pretty cheap if you shop around. I Just picked up some saddlebags for my MTB for $20 and threw them on there, they'll hold a ridiculous amount of stuff.

http://jeffhendricks.net/wp-content/upl ... oto034.jpg

Nashbar.com sells really nice trunk bags that go on top of the rack for less than $25.

I've seen people make panniers out of old metal military ammo boxes. You would be able to paint them to match your bike,
and you wouldn't loose your attitude like you would if you just put a rack with random panniers on.
Maybe you could even mount one on the front off the head tube.

Here is an example of the boxes:

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/50-cal-ammo-cans-4592.cfm

Just an idea. Good luck in whatever you do!

2nd on the ammo box. You could paint it flat black to match and put a red/white design on it. Waterproof to boot. My only addition would be to put it up front and on a rack. You don't have much space in back (seatpost), and the rack will stabilize the box.

Back