Dead Reckoning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots of early BMX ran skinny tires. till more fatter motor cycle off road type tires. started showing up in bike shops. but those mags not to sure on them. could look cool for now. but for resale ya fat tires and rims. then save the mags and skinny tires. after the build for some other cool frame.
I decided not to buy the mags when I heard from a number of sources they were just cheap Chinese crap. So I'm going to lace a pair of wheels for this bike.

You must not know me. Hi, I'm Crash, and I enjoy full restorations and spending more than the bike is worth. It's a curse.
d26e6f352b71242e05c4227a65eee800.jpeg

You must not know me. Hi, I'm Crash, and I enjoy full restorations and spending more than the bike is worth. It's a curse.
I'm in same predict ament pretty sure this bike I'm building costing more than I could probably get a whole bike for. I probably would have still bought those mags cause I think they look cool.

Got the headbadge broke lose and cleaned up. It’s looking a little beat up, but I’m worried if I try to smooth out the scratches I’ll make it worse.

D88A819C-9CF3-4EBE-8E4F-49191CFAF07E.jpeg

Here are the hubs I dug out that I’m going to use. I have to throw a smaller axle in the rear hub and space it for a single speed freewheel. Will probably have to buy one.

93125615-1896-4C2C-A356-A8F33C1C19A4.jpeg

I found this 36h Araya rim in my bike shop haul stash… but it was the only one! I’m a little upset over that. I have 40 rims of sizes I can use, but not enough of what I need! So I had to order a generic one for the rear.

99DD2AC8-B37E-4483-94D2-185AE85C1D18.jpeg

And I blasted the frame and fork tonight. (Forgot to mention I did get the crown race off.)
Can you see them?

D08DB808-EC3C-46E3-9C4B-8473E42263C3.jpeg

Next, it’s going to powder coating. I’m not doing anything crazy with the paint, just brilliant white. And I’m three deep in frames needing a paint booth, so #4 is getting the east button.

Got the headbadge broke lose and cleaned up. It’s looking a little beat up, but I’m worried if I try to smooth out the scratches I’ll make it worse.

View attachment 215779
Stick the badge on a thick dowel or a piece of tube with some double-sided tape.
Then take some high grit sandpaper and wrap it around a solid block of wood to give the raised parts of the badge some cautious sanding without destroying the color in the recessed areas.

Stick the badge on a thick dowel or a piece of tube with some double-sided tape.
Then take some high grit sandpaper and wrap it around a solid block of wood to give the raised parts of the badge some cautious sanding without destroying the color in the recessed areas.
That definitely sounds like something I’d screw up. But I might give it a shot.

I would want to polish it as well, which would certainly hit the paint. Maybe I’d have to do that manually.

That definitely sounds like something I’d screw up. But I might give it a shot.

I would want to polish it as well, which would certainly hit the paint. Maybe I’d have to do that manually.
I did this several times already. Key is to use the sandpaper with a solid block underneath and not cork or rubber. Like this it only grinds/polishes the elevated areas. If you step up the (wet)grit paper step by step into the upper hundreds grit or even up to PO-paper you will get it shiny again without destroying the paint.

Good to know! I’m now glad I didn’t get those weird Chinese mags or the Skyway mags.

I wasn’t going to show this, but since Raleigh is calling me out, I found a picture of this Hutch, and I’m using is as my color inspiration.

View attachment 216020

Love the color choice.

('81 Goose I built/decided too small/sold)
IMG_20180911_180815518.jpg

Last edited:
Help me understand some handlebar measurements. This bar is listed as 22.5” wide with a 6” rise. I don’t know what the “rise” means, or where it’s measured. I’m assuming 22.5” length is measured tip to tip.

905D3D98-E1A8-4714-AE4A-CED1750F1E4C.jpg

Latest posts

Back