"Death proof" JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These bars are so cool I don't even wanna put grips on them. They feel really good. 3 inch back drop was the right choice. Thanks sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I like the way the bike looks my vision was to have fenders painted flat black to match the bike with the little duck on the front fender with ape hangers. Don't forget these bars belong to another project.
Hint... (Kill Bill)

That turned out very nice! Was the chroming cost reasonable ?

That turned out very nice! Was the chroming cost reasonable ?
I think it was reasonable. I waited till I had 3 different sets of springers and had them all done for $300. So $100 a set. And the guy is local. He wants me to take the bike back & show it to him. How cool would it be to get him as a sponsor for the site.

Small problem. I have to grind the rocker plates so the rim can fit.

Even though you have already passed this stage before you posted, I thought it might be useful to suggest that the other solution to this problem is to grind (or file) flat each side of the axle until it fits the drop out. The advantage is that 50 year old rockers are much harder to replace than modern axles in the event that either a mistake is made while grinding, or you later change the wheel back to a smaller axle. This has been discussed in other threads also.

BTW, I like the fenders!

Even though you have already passed this stage before you posted, I thought it might be useful to suggest that the other solution to this problem is to grind (or file) flat each side of the axle until it fits the drop out. The advantage is that 50 year old rockers are much harder to replace than modern axles in the event that either a mistake is made while grinding, or you later change the wheel back to a smaller axle. This has been discussed in other threads also.

BTW, I like the fenders!
You know I'm kicking myself right now. I would have liked to of done it that way better.

How does that shifter work with the Nexus hub? I'm thinking of doing a similar setup... Bike looks great!

How does that shifter work with the Nexus hub? I'm thinking of doing a similar setup... Bike looks great!

Thanks, I still haven't hooked up the shifter. I'm going to the bike shop to get a longer white cable. But a member told me that he had the same set up and it works but the gears are reversed. I'll be adjusting it this weekend.

Back