Debut eBike build underway - 'BLUE BAMBOO' stretch cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Corona virus may be in all the headlines right now, but I've eventually succumbed to another kind of bug, eBikes, God forbid!
Scored a great deal on a one-off, show winning, stretch cruiser on eBay here in the UK that I just knew I'd regret if I didn't snap it up. After my 'best offer' was accepted, it was couriered to me a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't have been happier with my purchase.
stretch.jpg

Thanks to folks on RRB forum, forks and rear triangle were identified as being from an OCC Stingray, with a very well done custom stretch frame. Spent two weeks 'creatively staring' at the bike parked-up in the living room whilst formulating my build plan....
Decided it would be 48v 1000w rear eHub powered - a first for me following my three earlier gas powered projects featured on this forum.
Work commenced this last week, starting with swapping-out the original 24" 40 spoke, rim braked Stingray front wheel for a new 36 spoke rim laced to a Sturmey Archer 90mm drum brake. Brake's lever arm needed shortening, drilling and a turned bushing made to mate it to a clamp big enough to fit round the larger Stingray fork leg. Never been a fan of triple tree type forks, so something more to taste was inevitable fork wise. Came up with the idea to create something more springer vibey using the original forks mated to a set of cnc'd alloy riser parts, 2 lengths of 22.2mm dia. stainless tube and a pair of rubber fork gaiters. The pics show where I'm at after test fitting these parts. Still need to come up with a plan for how the lower ends of the s/s tubes will fit to the axle nuts - probably via rod ends I reckon.
New wider cruiser bars to be fitted. These will install to the steerer tube using a new stem riser and a 32mm ahead (or in this case astern) clamp for a very comfortable and relaxed ride - at least for me anyhow.
Going with the name BLUE BAMBOO for this project. Frame is undergoing the 'bamboo' transformation process using rings of half round brass stock rolled to shape in my rolling bars. After annealing, the brass rings fit snug to the frame and are permanently secured using polyurethane adhesive. The rings will be blended-in using some body putty to create a more organic bamboo profile. I'm in the process of creating the different sized brass rings to fit the three different sized tubes used on this bike's custom frame. Laborious - but the results will hopefully be worth it. Once the 'bambooing' of the frame is completed, I'll repaint it to represent exotic blue bamboo. Google it.
Still haven't unearthed my tyre irons from the storage facility since our house move last year, so I'm off to the local tyre fitter's tomorrow to have the new tyre/tube installed on the 20x4 eHub rear wheel.
DSCN3613.JPG
DSCN3615.JPG
DSCN3619.JPG
DSCN3623.JPG
DSCN3627.JPG
DSCN3629.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome. Are the brass rings your idea or is it something you have seen on older bikes or motorcycles? I've seen them on vintage rifles.

Using half round brass stock rolled into rings was simply the best way I could think of to represent bamboo's segmented look. Once blended in the whole frame will be repainted - so the brass rings will be over-painted then airbrushed to create the shadowed/mottled look of real blue bamboo.

Last edited:
Front forks completed. Used 16mm rod ends to secure the lower ends of the leading fork tubes to the axle. I drilled/tapped the axle nuts and used m5 bolts passed through a plastic dust cap to fix things firmly.
RSCN3650.JPG
DSCN3651.JPG

RSCN3653.JPG

Wide, pull-back cruiser handlebars provide an old guy like me with a much more comfortable, relaxed riding position.
DSCN3663.JPG
New eHub rear wheel temporarily installed. Gonna either cover the hub motor with chrome vinyl wrap or repaint it silver. Front wheel will get a new black rim and spokes, then I'll apply blue coloured Rimblades to the edges of both front and rear wheel rims to co-ordinate with the repainted blue frame.
DSCN3674.JPG

Clad Blue Bamboo's 'tank' panel with individual bamboo strips cut from an inexpensive bamboo blind. Been playing around with cardboard templates to get some idea of how I plan to conceal the bike's battery and controller. These panels will be cut/formed from sheet aluminium - and I'm hankering after cladding them using the same bamboo strips used on the 'tank'. Wasn't digging the look of the black rear eHub, so after respraying the hub itself silver and the addition of blue coloured Rimblades, I'm far happier. I'm building a new front wheel with black rim/spokes and matching blue rimblades.
DSCN3683.JPG
DSCN3685.JPG
DSCN3679.JPG
DSCN3689.JPG

Laced-up Blue Bamboo's new replacement front wheel. The black hoop, blackened stainless spokes, shiny s/s nipples and blue Rimblades mean the wheel now matches the rear.
In keeping with the blacked-out theme, swapped-out the original chrome chainring, cranks and pedals for black ones. Used an offcut from one of the Rimblades on the perimeter of the new chainring's chainguard. Loving the fold-down stand on the left pedal.
Rear wheel now sports a disc/caliper. Used a slightly modified cnc'd alloy caliper bracket from Pedal Chopper in Florida for this set up.
Fabricated the frame's horizontal battery support from square steel tube. The void beneath this will be occupied with the controller and all its wire connectors. Lower bodysides will be fabbed from 2mm thick aluminium sheet - when/if I can find a metal stockholder in the UK who's still open for business during the current Covid lockdown.
Installed a wireless marker/tail/indicator lighting pod under the saddle. Also have a wireless 'momentum' brake light which will fit to the left rear axle. Cool system. There's already enough wiring to contend with on an e-build.
Now in the process of binding the frame's joints with 5mm wide leather thong strips in an effort to maintain the bamboo theme. Found a UK crafter selling these leather strips by the metre, dyed any custom colour you specify. I opted for 'antique blue'. I reckon this extra detail adds a lot to the frame's look. Fast approaching time for the frame's repaint...

DSCN3705.JPG
DSCN3702.JPG
DSCN3710.JPG
DSCN3701.JPG
DSCN3671.JPG
DSCN3672.JPG
DSCN3712 (2).JPG
RSCN3716 (2).JPG

Obviously it took a lot work and talent to get this far. The bike looks fantastic. What brand are the pedals? I quite like the old ones, but these are also very nice, also cool integrated bike stand. Nice tail light, I was curious what these look like in real life, I have only seen advertising photos. I might order one now.
I also have seldom seen the twin lamp realized so well.
Don't torture us, give us wide shot of the bike in daylight! A photo session is overdue now.

Hey Toro,
Promend brand pedals were sourced - like most everything else - via eBay. The only seller of these was in Hong Kong. No big deal, I buy a lot of my bike stuff from Chinese sellers, most all of who offer free or very cheap worldwide shipping.
The cool fold down stand on these pedals was what hooked me. Stand part was metallic red, so I repainted it black.

Decided to go with a rear fender. Original fender that came with the bike needed a couple of dings beaten out. Currently in primer but it'll end up being sprayed same colour blue as the frame. Used threaded hex rod to fab the new mount securing the fender's lower edge to the frame.
Chain tensioner I've gone with is rather chunky for a bicycle. That's because it's intended for a motorcycle. I purchased this cnc'd alloy tensioner for my Honda Solo, but it was designed to fit square or rectangular frame stays and those on the Solo are round. Luckily it fits BLUE BAMBOO's rectangular frame stays perfectly.
Xlite 100 wireless 'Momentum' brake light added. Wire shown in pic is not from the light - it's the wire from the e-Hub.
DSCN3749 (2).JPG
DSCN3752 (2).JPG
DSCN3754 (2).JPG
DSCN3746 (2).JPG

Decided to go with a rear fender. Original fender that came with the bike needed a couple of dings beaten out. Currently in primer but it'll end up being sprayed same colour blue as the frame. Used threaded hex rod to fab the new mount securing the fender's lower edge to the frame.
Chain tensioner I've gone with is rather chunky for a bicycle. That's because it's intended for a motorcycle. I purchased this cnc'd alloy tensioner for my Honda Solo, but it was designed to fit square or rectangular frame stays and those on the Solo are round. Luckily it fits BLUE BAMBOO's rectangular frame stays perfectly.
Xlite 100 wireless 'Momentum' brake light added. Wire shown in pic is not from the light - it's the wire from the e-Hub.
View attachment 123558View attachment 123559View attachment 123561View attachment 123562

Love this bike!
Any chance you could send a link to that brilliant tail light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have at least one of those rear lights and love them. Gave one to a Granddaughter who rides the KATY Trail in Misery. She has an advantage on me. Her sidewalk in front of her house is part of the KATY trail. About eight feet wide to keep folks off the city streets. She gets to ride her bike everyday in nice weather. So the rear brake light helps. Be Well, SS.

Thanks. Just scroll back through the thread and you'll see how the faux springer look was created.
Forks are really just the rigid originals with some added 'tweaks'.
They do attract plenty comment when parked up.

Latest posts

Back