Derby Deluxe, Need a little help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I need some help! I picked up this Derby Deluxe. Not sure what year it is and there is very little about the Derby Brand. I've been told it's a 1953? Could be from Evans/Colson? Can anyone help me out?

derbydeluxe1.jpg

derbydeluxe3.jpg

derbydeluxe2.jpg

derbydeluxe6.jpg

Walker said:
Some stuff, stem, chainguard, look very Rollfast to me. Sweet ride though.

Yep, looks H.P. Snyder made to me, not Colson/Evans. Snyder built Rollfast bikes (Rollfast was the house brand) and also made the bikes sold by Montgomery Wards stores (Hawthorne). Clearly, they made bikes for other distributors as well... I think "Derby" was a hardware store bike, but I don't know which store sold it. As for the year, I really wouldn't know. My guess is more like 55/56 ish, but that's a very uneducated guess, just going by the styling.

skoda said:
Wow, super nice. What are the tires? Those are crazy.

I've seen these before... I think they are some kind of U.S. Royal tire. I feel as though the name has "worm" in it somewhere but I could be wrong on that.

Tires are called "SnakeBelly" tread.

Joe

Derby bicycles were sold at Pep Boys stores. Usually made by brands like HP Snyder and Evans/Colson.

Wow, that is a bike I would be proud of. As far as dates go, my guess is late 50's any earlier and I think it would have a skiptooth, but im not sure about how those all played out

I wanted to thank everyone with the help finding the information on this bike. It looks like it was sold at Pep Boys. They sold this model for multiple years. I am now searching to find out what year I have. Here is a page out of their 1954 catalog.
1954PepBoysBikes.jpg

Hi everyone,

I came across this post while doing some research on this bike my wife's parents had stored away in a shed. I've always thought it was cool so I took some pictures and I'm hoping I could get a little more information about it. From the image of the Pep Boys catalog it almost looks exactly like the girls model of the Derby Deluxe. Unfortunately its missing the headlamp. Any more info I could get would be great and maybe some tips on cleaning it up and possibly how much a headlamp for this would run?

DSCF6355.jpg

DSCF6357.jpg

DSCF6356.jpg

DSCF6358.jpg

DSCF6359.jpg

DSCF6360.jpg

DSCF6361.jpg

DSCF6354.jpg

What do you all think?

Latest posts

Back