derust chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'very used the tin foil method as wel, thought it would scratch the chrome but it worked great. Never tried it with WD...Next time

I have used this product with success. Autosol, made in Germany shipped from Hong Kong via EBay. Cost about $4 a tube average and sometimes shipping is free!
Here I used it on two fork crowns. This is also a good comparison on how much better Schwinn chrome was back in the day. They both cleaned up pretty good but the Schwinn piece looks awesome.
I put a tooth brush and a diaper to work it in and polish it out.
DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

The best method is free and easy. Normal dirt lightly moistened with water. Rust comes off very quickly. Just make sure no tiny rocks is in the dirt. Comes out polished. Looks like new

There's always a catch . What are some 'real' methods.
I've used the tinfoil method, soaking old silverplated spoons and cutlery in vinegar and metal foil. Some chemical releases and it does clean a bit, I've used it on bike chrome...but come on...really...the chrome has to be in 'pretty good shape to begin with"

I'm really wondering what some of you do when the chrome is half gone....? besides re chroming...which I wouldn't do, because, well, you know, I have to buy food and gas and stuff like that first
What do you do when the chrome is bad? Sand down to bare metal and polish that?...sand down and spray with silver paint?

never getting a good shine on shiny stuff is making me bonkers... want to just paint over chrome and shiny bits lately....
:(
Franco

This stuff is awesome:

http://www.rustdepot.com/

Mix it up in a covered plastic bin and just soak cleaned parts overnight. Everything comes out spotless. I use a Christmas wreath storage bin for rims. Just don't put anything CAD plated in there for too long, I learned that the hard way.

Oh yeah, and it's non-hazardous! :)

-Dan

I have used this product with success. Autosol, made in Germany shipped from Hong Kong via EBay. Cost about $4 a tube average and sometimes shipping is free!
Here I used it on two fork crowns. This is also a good comparison on how much better Schwinn chrome was back in the day. They both cleaned up pretty good but the Schwinn piece looks awesome.
I put a tooth brush and a diaper to work it in and polish it out.
DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg
I just got a set of truss rods, not rusty but need shined up. Do you think this stuff would work for that?

Back