Diamond Frame Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started messing with old bikes everyone I know started throwing me newer bikes and I've just been grabbing whet I want of them,monkeying them back together with what I don't want and giving them away.
My quetion is what kind of wheel sets can you shove in diamond frames?Do they need to be offset when converting to single speed?Is there any thing else I might run into I should know about?
I am more into ballon style bikes and don't like riding skinny tires or messing with gears much,but this stuff is free and I'm bored.I don't really have the room to just start ripping things apart so if I can find out if it's not that big a deal I'll start tinkering.Thanks guys.

It depends on the frame and the brake options. Because of the cassette/freewheels most wheels are dished to center the rim in the frame.

From Sheldon Brown
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_da-o.html#dish
When rear wheels are built properly, the spokes on the right side are made tighter than those on the left side. This pulls the rim to the right, so that it is centered with respect to the axle (and to the frame.) Viewed edgewise, a rear wheel built this way resembles a dish, or bowl, since the left spokes form a broad cone, while the right spokes are nearly flat.

If you have a coaster brake, then you can put any wheel in as long as it fits. It may look odd as the rim sits off center. But a non dished wheel is stronger.

I was able to squeeze a set of Schwinn coaster wheels with 26" x 1.75" tires in this 71 Racer without any clearance issues.

Dang it...Hooch is gonna call me on that front inner tube. :roll:

DSC_0052.jpg

Rat Rod said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheDuke said:
Rat Rod said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: That's awesome.Thanks for the tips guys.

Rat Rod said:
I was able to squeeze a set of Schwinn coaster wheels with 26" x 1.75" tires in this 71 Racer without any clearance issues.

DSC_0052.jpg
What type of rims are those Steve? schwinn or regs?

Rat Rod said:
Those are Schwinn S7 wheels that came off a 67 Typhoon.

The tire size is actually 1 3/4 S7.
So Do you think S7's would fit on a Collegiate? same frame as the racer right?

I'm planning on doing the same thing with my racer once I get it painted and put back together. I have a nice pair of chrome s-7's with a two speed kickback bendix hub I'll be using. After seeing Steve's I think I need to get a nice pair of chrome fenders for it too. I even tried a 26x2.125 (second pic) just to see if it would work. With the fenders off it fit, but was pretty tight.

racerside.jpg

racer4.jpg

Back