Diamondback street rod now JOSCAT'S CAFFEINACHRONISM RACER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, dont have the right frame yet but probably will be a tall frame NOS cromo diamondback mtb stripped with lugs removed. here is some of what i have already
IMG_17151.jpg

the 24" wheels with sachs 3-speed coaster brake hub and the sweet chainguard came off this super ugly 2nd hand kids bike bought for about $40. some interesting obscure italian made alloy rims too
IMG_17111.jpg

Re: Diamondback street rod

the current plan is to have everything as raw, patina'd, polished metal and natural as possible, no paint to speak of. with a hand made stick shift under seat and a few non- bicycle brass and copper bits put to use.
I also have this seat brand new from india. don't like the pan shape but the springs are pretty mad. maybe a laminated wooden pan with upswept tail if i have time.
IMG_17391.jpg

and these rims off my supersport harrier are quite a bit wider and more motorbike- looking for the Almost the Same Weight (!) as the alloy rims off the kontiki.
IMG_17401.jpg

and some old Rudge handlebars for now- may find some cool motorcycle bars.
IMG_17421.jpg

i may also use the rudge cranks but am reluctant to remove from their home on the rudge!
IMG_17431.jpg

have just been offered a free bent GT-dyno aluminium Deuce cruiser frame, so might be able to bust out the levers and vice chocks and straighten her up for this build. we'll see

Here it is currently.. it rides so well! I am yet to strip the nice new paint off frame so we can see it rust bwahahaha. also i will do my utmost to fit cooler cranks, these dont like my chainguard. the rudge cranks were a no-go i'm afraid. my indian seat with the springs was too squashy, it bottoms out easily, man it must be designed for a really skinny person.
IMG_1778.jpg
assembled to function
IMG_1783-1.jpg
the decals stripped off for now
IMG_1780.jpg
the chainguard mounting
IMG_1779.jpg
another angle

no offense to any diamondback buliders but before clicking on this thread i thought "theres no way to make a diamond back look good".

you have changed my opinion 10 fold.

funny thing is, i agree with you both! the vision for this bike could never have happened without vibes from this site.
cheers,
Joscat

hopefully today i get to use my friend's grinder and trim all the extra gear and brake cable ferrules and posts off

can anyone give me Sachs 3- spd coaster advice? is it supposed to make the puller chain push outward 1mm when you brake in top gear? I'm highly suspicious of these new planetry hubs

Sweet bike.Looks like it can take a beating,too.I'd ride the crap outta that. :mrgreen:

What are thoose tires?

IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1785.jpg

brass table lamp comonents put to use. i even made my own brass 'starfangled nut' jam washer and hammered it into the headtube, then used the threaded lamp stem tube as an anchor bolt for the brass top cap

The auckland harbour bridge protest on 24 may. thousands of ordinary citizens stormed the motorway on foot and bike when told by the transport minister they couldn't have a walk and cycleway from one side of the city to the other. auckland is on a very narrow part of the north island and the only practical way to get from one end of the country to the other is by the bridge!
IMG_1813.jpg
IMG_1815.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg

Back