Did Some Saddle Restorations...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was busy this weekend working on 3 different saddles. Two are Troxels and one is a Schwinn Messinger. The tan Troxel has its original cover but, the bottom pan and suspension were worked on by a previous owner and needed some work. The chrome springs came off of another very rough Troxel that is still in the process of being done. The black Troxel was completely redone. The nose of that seat looks a little off because I double wrapped it to add some durability, now I've decided to just completely double cover all future seats. The black seat has seen some miles since being done and its nice and comfortable. The Messinger is for the 1956 Schwinn Streamliner I'm currently restoring. Messinger used a thick pad of rubber for the cushion, very interesting and unexpected. I was able to save it and reuse it. I'm happy with how these saddles came out and I've learned some things for future restos. I'm honestly thinking of offering my services up here and on the other bike forums. Its fun to do and I think they came out pretty darn nice.

P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Those are awesome! I've got a little troxle from my daughter's trike that I have just spray painted for the resto. It used to be covered in white something or other. Leather maybe?

What would you charge for a little one? It's from this trike:

dsc1085mv.jpg

Nice job on the seats. I'm in the process of making a double pan right now for a seat frame I have for my next build. Did you stretch the springs before painting?

I did have to stretch a couple of the springs due to a partially collapsed coil, just stick a screwdriver between the coils and give it heck until its back to the right height.

You did a great job! I got a troxel on a rollfast, Are there ways of fixing a hole without recovering?

As far as I know there is no way to fix a whole in a seat that will provide lasting results. The troxel with the tan original cover actually has a couple rips that the previous owner appears to have glued. I'm fairly certain that they will not hold up once I start riding the bike. The only reason I left that cover on is because it still has a nice Troxel stamp on it and the condition complements that bike its now installed on.

they look good... i have a bunch of girls seats.. but they have the big drop springs on them.. I have been half tempted to
adapt the springs to guys seats.. but only half..

Back