Dirty Money: Building Bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last couple of weeks I have been watching a tv. show on the discovery channel called Dirty Money.
A family selling stuff at flea markets in New York City. They collect free or cheap stuff and one of them
gets creative and makes something cool out of it. Last week they took a bike and put a chainsaw on it
painted it to look like an Evil Knievil motorcycle. Sold it for $300. Last night they made a Pee Wee Herman
look alike schwinn bike and sold it for $500 to a bike club from New York City.

I am calling BS. I find it odd that they drove all over NYC and couldn't find any 26 x 2.125 tires so they send them to a bike club to buy them. Then this same bike club happens to come to a flea market and buys this brush painted, styrofoam side bag bike from these guys for $500.

Yes, I'm certain it's staged, but aren't all the reality TV shows staged and fantasy?

I have only seen this one episode and I did however find it entertaining and I think the creations are unique and interesting.

It left me wanting to see more of the Puerto Rican Schwinn Club and their stable of wheeled goods that was lined up on the sidewalk.

Really courious about the New Egypt flea market. Any of you New Jersey members have any insite on this?

I wonder if that flea market even exhist. They might have made it up for the show, you never know. I do agree that it was staged though, I couldn't see a serious club buying that thing...

After watching "Repo men" or whatever, I thought it was cool, but then I saw a few clips that were obviously staged. I went on line to learn that some of the clips were staged "based on actual events".......so if you look hard, you can tell. Now if we could get "Jersey Shore" to EXIT stage left....... :D

I couldn't believe those guys bought that bike, is it really a schwinn club because you think they would use an original Schwinn logo and not the 80's & newer logo, I also love how they said it's a one of a kind replica of Pee Wee's bike.

You can watch 3 clips about the "Pee Wee Herman Bike" on Discovery channel, I just watched them and it was just a bunch of junk, the bike, the acting, the story, everything. Maybe entertaining, but it's hard not to see through it. Now, could these be guys that really make money selling at flea markets? Sure, but they had to have some sort of hook to get themselves a tv show, so it's acting and staged occurances.

if we keep hating on it the show will continue, that's kind of how it works.
that swapmeet does exist, there are like 2-3 of them near NYC like that.
That bike was a joke as far as a replica. They should had just cleaned it up to a nice original.

Those guys/host seem really douchey.
We should let the show and thread die by just letting it go.

If they keep up what they are doing with bikes, it will be like Pickers and you'll see prices keep going up, or maybe people will start brush painting old bikes and adding crappy non functional parts and asking 5 times what they are worth.

I find it hard to believe that a guy that repairs and sells junk at a flea marking has a vacuum former most people I know that sell like that don't have nor know how to use that stuff.

I also seen it...brush painted :roll: I really don't think the bike club was real myself :| Old bikes with the modern logo. I don't like that show too much :|

Well the bicycle club from New York is real. If the bike they were trying to get tires for was an S2 wheel, then no problem, but if it was an S7, then that is a whole different story. Those tires are becoming harder to find anymore. I think they might have started making them again, but nobody seems to carry them.

Kuttnhack said:
Yes, I'm certain it's staged, but aren't all the reality TV shows staged and fantasy?

I have only seen this one episode and I did however find it entertaining and I think the creations are unique and interesting.

It left me wanting to see more of the Puerto Rican Schwinn Club and their stable of wheeled goods that was lined up on the sidewalk.

Really courious about the New Egypt flea market. Any of you New Jersey members have any insite on this?

New Egypt Flea Market is real...Its not too far from Great Adventure.

http://newegyptfleamarket.com/

Latest posts

Back