DIY Cup Press for OPC BB cups

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been using a DIY headset cup press similar to the one in this picture:

5099582091_e804ecdd90_o.jpg

Basically, a 1/2 inch threaded rod, two flange nuts, two nylon washers, two flat washers, and four fender washers. The fender washers are what actually contacts the cups, driving them into place.

Here's the problem - I'd like to use this same set-up to install bottom bracket cups for one piece cranks. However, those cups measure a little over 2 inches; the widest fender washers I can find are 2 inches wide.

Just curious if anyone has used a set-up like this for OPC BB cups. I've used the hammer or c-clamp with blocks of wood routes; I just prefer the control this gives you in installation. Just looking for suggestions on a washer wide enough to do the job.

Yeah, i'm rockin this for headsets and BBs; I'm running a 7/8" diameter piece of all-thread, though. Not sure of the washers' diameter, but it's more than 2". I have a smaller one i made to install a YST american-to-squaretaper BB set, too....

PS- you could easily drill 1/2" holes into small blocks of wood and place them inboard of the fender washers....lotta ways to skin the OPC, which is part of why i love those cranks.

Latest posts

Back