Does this fork look bent?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my eye, it looks mildly tweaked front-to-back, as if it were in a frontal collision. I've found it's easier to tell if the fork is in a frame, as there are more visual guidelines, plus you can see how the bearings sit in the cup. I've had forks that looked straight upon first inspection, but then you find tight spots in the headset upon installing and adjusting. If that fork is bent, it's definitely fixable.

I have a fork off of a '57 Hornet that looks tweaked at almost the exact same angle. Looks fine in the frame with a wheel installed. Makes me wonder if it isn't intentional.

Untitled.jpg

Ya, it's bent. But it can be straightened using the Sheldon Brown 2X4 method.

Riding into a curb ends like that every time!
As mentioned above, try the Sheldon Brown method.

Yes, slightly. The 2x4's go in the vise to protect the fork legs.Tape the poop out of the threads, slide a 4' x 1 1/8"-1 1/4" cheater bar over the steer tube and pull till you get it back in line. Don't know if thats the Sheldon method(highly doubt it) but it'll get it straight, fast and clean.
Can't say it's the best method, but quick, easy, and great results consistently for me.

Back