TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guard and fender look great.

IMG_1375.jpeg
IMG_1376.jpeg
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1378.jpeg
IMG_1379.jpeg

It’s looking really good. I think the guard and fender play really well with the rest of the bike and really help give it an early ‘60s custom look, one that’s been parked in the garage for the last few decades. I still need to attach the guard and fender and I’d like to add a headlight if I get time. It’s a cool bike, I’m looking forward to doing some rides!

View attachment 272954View attachment 272955View attachment 272956View attachment 272957View attachment 272959

It’s looking really good. I think the guard and fender play really well with the rest of the bike and really help give it an early ‘60s custom look, one that’s been parked in the garage for the last few decades. I still need to attach the guard and fender and I’d like to add a headlight if I get time. It’s a cool bike, I’m looking forward to doing some rides!
Happy Oh Yeah GIF

really help give it an early ‘60s custom look, one that’s been parked in the garage for the last few decades.

Perfect description. Great build man!

Perfect description. Great build man!

Thanks guys! It's been really fun with both of my builds. I have to admit I bit off more than I could chew with 2 time consuming builds in addition to everything else that needs attending to but I think I'll be able to get them both across the line.

View attachment 272954View attachment 272955View attachment 272956View attachment 272957View attachment 272959

Looks more like 50's hot rod mods to me. It's really looking great!
You could grind off every other tooth on the chainring and have skiptooth. I've done that on 2 bikes and it works with no problem.
221444-08-Jan-23-h.jpg

Looks more like 50's hot rod mods to me. It's really looking great!
You could grind off every other tooth on the chainring and have skiptooth. I've done that on 2 bikes and it works with no problem.
View attachment 272965
Thanks! I've seen your bikes with the skip tooth mod but I hadn't considered doing it on this one, that's perfect! I had thought about running a real skip tooth but decided against it since I wanted some gears, which was a good excuse to use this old drum hub. If I get time I'll grind off the extra teeth. I'm pretty sure it's an even number off teeth, 44 maybe.

Great mods with the fender and chain guard! Bike has a cool hot rod vibe for sure!

If you want to knock down that white on the front tire, try a Cream or Off-White colored acrylic tube paint on a rag. Just a small dab wiped on and rubbed in can give a new tire an old look. Otherwise, this bike is dialed!

I also sprayed the rims on Desert Rat, a Columbia build I did a few years back out in AZ, but these will give you an idea of how I aged the tires using an acrylic tube paint. The color I used was called Plaid, if I recall.

Before

desert rat before.jpg

After

desert rat after.jpg
\

Because of the bright lettering and reflective stripe, I went pretty heavy on the application. Because you have a white, even colored background, you could go much lighter.

Great mods with the fender and chain guard! Bike has a cool hot rod vibe for sure!

If you want to knock down that white on the front tire, try a Cream or Off-White colored acrylic tube paint on a rag. Just a small dab wiped on and rubbed in can give a new tire an old look. Otherwise, this bike is dialed!

I also sprayed the rims on Desert Rat, a Columbia build I did a few years back out in AZ, but these will give you an idea of how I aged the tires using an acrylic tube paint. The color I used was called Plaid, if I recall.

Before

View attachment 272973

After

View attachment 272972\

Because of the bright lettering and reflective stripe, I went pretty heavy on the application. Because you have a white, even colored background, you could go much lighter.

I think Plaid is the name brand of the paint you used, not the color.

https://plaidonline.com/products

We're going Plaid

Tunnel Plaid GIF

Plaid is the company that makes Folk Art and a wide variety of crafting paints.

That wasn't really the point of my original comment though. Just a helpful suggestion on how to age the bright white walls.

That wasn't really the point of my original comment though. Just a helpful suggestion on how to age the bright white walls.

Most excellent tip too. I was only clarifying to make it easier for people hunting for acrylic paints to implement it. I can picture the big racks of Plaid paints at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart craft areas.

Before

View attachment 272973

After

View attachment 272972\

Thanks OJ! I’ll try to order some of that acrylic paint, it looks like it does a great job. I wasn’t too impressed with the wood stain I tried on the back tire, though it did knock down the new look. The tires you did look great!

Back