TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

Sorry about the wildfire, but glad to see some good bikage come out of it.

So far the fire is just an inconvenience. Hopefully it will stay that way. There were over 1000 lightning strikes down there in less than 3 hours. 7 or 8 fires going now. Hopefully it won't get windy. I'm over 100 miles away so can't even smell the smoke from here. Yet.

Find an old bike and open up the BB or headtube and grab some old dirty grease on a rag.

This frame had been beaten with out of adjustment cranks enough to damage the chain stays.
IMG_1251.jpeg
IMG_1252.jpeg
IMG_1253.jpeg

So I filled the notch/holes with some mig wire. Good as new. Good enough anyway.
IMG_1254.jpeg
IMG_1255.jpeg

A light mist of red oxide primer and Bob’s your uncle.
IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1257.jpeg

Interesting kickstand mod by a previous owner. It rubs on the chainring too.
IMG_1258.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg

Now that I was fairly sure the chain stays wouldn’t buckle I went ahead and spread the rear triangle 3/4” to fit the drum brake hub.
IMG_1260.jpeg
IMG_1261.jpeg

Looks good on there.
IMG_1262.jpeg
IMG_1263.jpeg

Derailleur from a 10 speed should do just fine for the gearing on this one.
IMG_1264.jpeg

I had picked up a lucky 7 seat post to get the seat lower and farther back. Looks pretty cool but I need to move the seat a little farther forward so I can level it better.
IMG_1265.jpeg
IMG_1266.jpeg
IMG_1267.jpeg
IMG_1268.jpeg

I mounted the stem shifter from the 10 speed to the seat stay with a shim. Looks kind of cool there. Should work ok.
IMG_1270.jpeg
IMG_1271.jpeg

I was hoping to use the chainring that was on the bike, I really like the patina. But it’s for single speed chain and I need to use 6/7 speed chain. Found this shinier one in a box, don’t remember what bike it came from. It fits the chain so I’m using it. I’d like to rust it up a bit but that’s a low priority.
IMG_1269.jpeg
IMG_1274.jpeg

The bottom bracket bearing cups in this bike were too small for the frame so I grabbed them from this ugly frame. These fit good.
IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

When only the cheapest grease you’re trying to use up will do.
IMG_1275.jpeg

All set. The crank action hasn’t been this nice on this bike in probably decades.
IMG_1276.jpeg
IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

Then I extended an old mountain bike chain to fit and installed the white pedals I got for it. Starting to look like a bike again. It’s going to be great to have gears in the hills. Now I need to figure out how to attach a cable to this drum brake.
IMG_1280.jpeg
IMG_1281.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with the way it’s looking so far. I’d be happy to ride it like this. The plan is to get it shifting and braking tomorrow and take it for a ride. Then on to mounting the fenders. If nothing else comes up maybe I can get this one finished next weekend.
IMG_1282.jpeg
IMG_1283.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg

Really coming together nicely. Such a great blend of parts that are complimentary to each other.

Back