UNLIMITED Duality

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little alignment and sanity check this morning:

IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg

Comes out to 41.5” wheelbase, 72.5-73 degree head tube angle, 40mm trail, nice tire clearance, standover height good, alignment checks.

I can now move forward with confidence!

Looking wickedly sexy!

I reworked the rear lower curves to bring the BB inside the frame, and fit up to the rear dropouts. Changes the look a bit but I’m still diggin’ it. (especially since I don’t have replacement tubes on hand! 😆)

IMG_0289.jpeg

Headtube fitup for the lower tube next, then some welding.

I reworked the rear lower curves to bring the BB inside the frame, and fit up to the rear dropouts. Changes the look a bit but I’m still diggin’ it. (especially since I don’t have replacement tubes on hand! 😆)

View attachment 268040

Headtube fitup for the lower tube next, then some welding.
Very nice! The tubes over go over the bottom bracket? Can't wait to see the result!

IMG_0291.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg

Very nice! The tubes over go over the bottom bracket? Can't wait to see the result!
In the original bends, the BB [center post highlighted in red] in a normal drop placement relative to the axle line, would have been outside/below the frame. I bent the rear section more to get the BB inside the frame, ala Elgin Twinbar.

Changed the lookd a bit.

However, it’s moot as the fit-up for the head tube did not go well and those tube will not work anymore. 🫤

Taking a break to adjust. Maybe just get a couple new tubes and apply what I’ve learned to do better. This was my first go with the tubing roller, afterall. Plus I really like the look of the first curves better. Just have to get the sweep a bit different.

I have some 1-1/2” tubes I could make a single downtube, and use the rear half of these as chain stays, but, I hate to make that compromise.

The top came together well enough, I want to keep going with the plan.

More bits and bobs I can do in the meantime, so, stay tuned.

Sorry to hear it didn't quite work as planned yet. I like the potbelly pig look of the second bends, but I think the first bends flow better with the dropouts. I think it's fine to have the BB below the line of the tubes. You could even move the BB up and forward a bit to get a more pedal forward geometry. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm really impressed with your skills on this build.

1717361007692.png

Thanks. Yeah, flowing with the dropouts is so much better. Going to serve up some more money on new tubes, 'cause it's just money and who needs that, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that if I just leave a longer straight section before the bend begins, and then tighten the front, it'll work. Will have to check tire clearance.

Like so: (if only it was as easy in real life as in Gimp.)
Dual7.jpg

Or, I'll put the BB wherever the heck it fits and ride it like a BOSS! 'cause Built, Not Bought, B'ches! :21:

Got that right. I know my number is 30" crank center to seat top (where I sits...) and I can lean that crank forward to recumbent territory or more vertical cruiser style. As long as I can pedal comfy it's a bike... if not it's just space in my garage.

GC

New tubes today! Better bends. I learned from my first attempts at S-bends and did better this time. Much less, almost no twist.

Also confined the rear bend to a tighter radius.

IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0308.jpeg
IMG_0309.jpeg
IMG_0310.jpeg

Trimming and coping still to do, but I’ll be off for a few days doing my job (uggghhh! 🤣).
Time to catch up with all the other builds. 😄

A little progress today, have the head tube ends mitered. Seems like a little thing but was much back and forth with measuring, aligning, etc.
IMG_0325.jpeg

Otherwise a busy life week, but maybe tomorrow I’ll get the dropout ends done and then we almost have a frame! 😂

Great flow to that layout! Nice work!

Morning work saw the major bottom tube welding done.

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

And it still fits into the jig with proper alignment and no need to bend and pry. 😄

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

I don’t know what “gap welding” means, but this below is not a bug, it’s a feature! 🤣
IMG_0347.jpeg

Back