Dumb Question but.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll ask it anyway. For my 1962 Schwinn Canilever cruiser, how many links does the chain have? I have had too many beers to trust myself with math. :D

Maybe too many beers for asking questions too!:21:

There are no dumb questions. Just questions very easy to answer.
Your chain length in links will be different depending on the number of teeth on the chain wheel and cog, even on the same frame. I'd get a replacement chain and see if it's long enough, then add or subtract links to get it just right.

Pick up one of these chain breakers...
r.jpg

Best way to customize your chain.
Little trick I learned, when shortening chain, don't drive the pin all the way out - just enough to take the chain apart. That way you can re use the link - when the pin is out it's out for good.

That's a good idea. Get a good one because you'll use it more than you think. I started out with a cheap one that worked once or twice before it quit. Then I spent 20 bucks on a good one and have used it many times. I keep all the extra links and use them also. This shows what horsefarmer is saying about driving the pin just enough to separate the chain. It's easy to reattach after taking out or adding a link to the other end of the chain.

ven19x.jpg

Ha, ha,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I sobered up and looked online and the chain I need is a pretty common one. The 410 Z with 112 links. And I do have the tools to brake the chain. Was going to just flip my '62 Schwinn with the 2 speed kickback hub, but after thinking about it, I decided to play around with it. Just ordered tires, chain, and pistol grips. Looking for a seat but have not found the right one yet. I will know it when I see it.

Should be fun!

Latest posts

Back