Dutch Treat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This old Batavus arrived unannounced beside my house when I got home from a ride today.
I don't know if it's mine or not, but I couldn't help but give her a quick clean. Pics are pre wash and I will update later.
It has a single speed w/coaster brake, aged skirt guard, deteriorating fabric chainguard, built in rear wheel lock and a pretty cool light set with thru frame wiring.
When the mystery is solved as to who might have dropped her off she'll get lube, tubes and tires, and just maybe a new owner.
These old Batavuses are not common around here and any help to I.D. vintage would be welcomed. I'll update what I find out when I spend some time with it.

Last edited:
Cool bike. I have a bit of a thing for these Dutch and English Tourist bikes. They are under appreciated and it is surprising how cool of a bike you can get for very little money. They ride very comfortably also.

They have changed very little over the years and most bikes from the 1940s up until the early 1970s look very similar. Yours looks to be 60's by the parts on it and the head badge.

Cool bike. I have a bit of a thing for these Dutch and English Tourist bikes. They are under appreciated and it is surprising how cool of a bike you can get for very little money. They ride very comfortably also.

They have changed very little over the years and most bikes from the 1940s up until the early 1970s look very similar. Yours looks to be 60's by the parts on it and the head badge.

Thanks, I have to agree that the old Dutch and English tourist bikes are solid and usually tidy up as easily as a good old Schwinn.
They're popular here in the city and I have yet to keep one for my own use for very long.
There must be close to 20 Batavus stamps, labels and decals on this bike to declare their pride. I'll take a tooth brush to that head badge in the next round.:blush:
I gave it a quick clean, aired up the crusty tires and found it to ride really nice and quiet.
There's some pitting on the rims but the spokes are all clean and tight.

That Saturday Night Fever gnome is cool! :banana::banana:
avusbath007_zps53b5aeed.jpg

Very cool find! I see similar bikes on our vacations all the time, but I've never run across one in the US yet.

Cool!
You could check for a date on the hub or on the brakearm, sometimes theyre dated.
The tires are also dated but they probably are replaced.
My guess is that its from the 60s or 70s..

Frank

Cool!
You could check for a date on the hub or on the brakearm, sometimes theyre dated.
The tires are also dated but they probably are replaced.
My guess is that its from the 60s or 70s..

Frank
I had the bike upside down and inside out today and only spotted a '7' stamped on the hub.
The bike is now all set with just minor detailing left.

Are you dutch yourself?
Because in this link there is some information about old Batavus framenumbers etc.
http://www.rijwiel.net/batavu2n.htm

If You're not dutch i'll be happy to translate it for you if you like!

Frank

Thanks for the great link Frank.
I was able to use Google translate, but did not find the particular I.D. info from the site.
I have emailed the contact on the forum for I.D. help with attached pics and particular info to my bike.
Serial# on drop out D 9552
Favorit brand hub stamped 7, with grease nipple
Wheel Size 26 X 1 3/8, 36 spokes
I will also go take a look now for any other identifying stamps that I can find on various parts.

Last edited:
Okay, I pulled the stem and it was clearly stamped 1963.
If the frame # starting with the letter 'D' corresponds to a year number, I will say it would indicate the bike to be a 1964 model.
Does every one concur ? What might be a fair value of the bike?

HA!! I have a tank marked "Flying Dutchman" with the same little guy on it. One step closer to solving the mystery......

Hmmmm, a dancing dutchman from the sixties! Shame it's not gold.
images

I think you.could be right about that..
They changed the forktube and transfers after 1960
In this link there is a 1962 batavus topper and it looks a lot like yours..
http://www.rijwiel.net/fietsen/bat/topper_n.htm

And the year on the stem pretty much confirms i guess but i didnt know they dated them and i cant seen to find anything about it... i can always send a mail to batavus maybe they have an archive or something.
My guess is 63 like your stem says...
And for value.. well thats hard to say.. over here, in mint quality and complete with especially the chainguard about 100-150 dollars but they are more common here, well not really common but you know what i mean..:)

Frank

Last edited:
I think you.could be right about that..
They changed the forktube and transfers after 1960
In this link there is a 1962 batavus topper and it looks a lot like yours..
http://www.rijwiel.net/fietsen/bat/topper_n.htm

And the year on the stem pretty much confirms i guess but i didnt know they dated them and i cant seen to find anything about it... i can always send a mail to batavus maybe they have an archive or something.
My guess is 63 like your stem says...
And for value.. well thats hard to say.. over here, in mint quality and complete with especially the chani drw what i mean..:)

Frank

Thanks so much for your help Frank.
I suppose that I could have left the shredded old chainguard in place, but felt it really detracted from the appearance of the bike and interfered with the operation.
The correct style of chainguard would be a challenge to find and similar styles are likely a task to retrofit. A crafty hipster city girl or collector should be able to come up with a suitable solution. I'll leave the chaingard frame intact as is for now, but will likely take a look my friend's dungeon and find a viable option.

Back