DW-4385

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5 months ago, I found a bike at my local bike shop that was just too cool to pass up.

The badge claimed it to be a Lincoln - made by schwinn. Thinking it was a b-10e, i thought it was a steal of a deal, and if i didnt like it, i could easily part it out here or the cabe and make some profit. I got it home and began to clean it up a bit, got it riding better and quickly realized that it was possibly the best riding bike I own. Plans to sell it went right out the window and i began to figure out what it actually was. It turns out to be a mid 30s elgin oriole. for a bike that never had a tank, it rides like a dream and is the perfect under the radar cruiser.

e94ea435.jpg

it came with a wald 9 hole and accessory chain guard, a 60s seat that was poorly re-covered, a rollfast deco stem, some really cool very wide eastman rims and a really nice drop stand.

0158bd9b.jpg

c79af350.jpg

never satisfied, i started getting parts.

19fa700e.jpg

I found it this beautiful deep spring seat that matches the patina very well and the correct 30s accessory rack with jewel reflector

e5d784e5.jpg

it started to remind me of a military bike, so i thought id take it there and i made this pedestrian slicer.

c5ab9d3a.jpg

which co-incidentally, i cant currently find, I was set to install it, got really busy and now i cant quite figure out where it went... it'll turn up.

so today, i decided to take it to the next level and start some painting.

94152fb3.jpg

I whipped up the decal at work and cut it on the vinyl cutter, used it as a mask and sprayed away.

I'll get some better pics later, but as of now, i have to add a link to the chain, I installed the correct elgin sprocket and now the chain is a bit short. but shes still a winner in my book.

I also installed the correct cross brace handlebars, hopefully i have a siren, horn or some other noisemaker available in my parts bin.

next step - tank

This bike is already so right on so many levels! I love that creamy color!! On that note, I know you already got it painted and all, but I saw that that back rack was a quite a bit bent up, You can flip that over on a nice flat piece of wood then set a square piece of tubing or steel inside the channels and hammer em down with a mallet to flatten them out. It might crack the paint though, but if you're not against another coat it might be worth the effort. It'd be a bit more rigid and useful being back in the right shape too :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip about the rear rack, I usually just hammered the daylights out of them. the funny thing is that i bought the rack for a completely different project, but when i got it, the lincoln/elgin called out to me, AND it was already painted like that, lo and behold its correct. also in digging, i found what i thought was an iver johnson chain ring that also turned out to be correct.

I had to mess around with the chain today to get some extra length, sadly i have an alignment issue now and i lost one of those darn master link plate parts, I fiddled with it for awhile, and just couldent get it to stop the noise, i think i have to space the sprocket a bit more out from the race... oh joy, another messy job.

I have a few more goofy bits on order for this thing, but overall, its still an awesome rider, I adjusted the seat a bit further back, and the new bars bring my arms up a bit more, its actually quite pleasant, ive been doing the dropped bars, wide long horns and other styles for so long, i forgot what a "normal" riding position felt like. Im going to root around for chain guards. im just trying to delete the whole schwinn thing from my old elgin.

picture time!

Iver Johnson you say?...

Slap one of these to your bike's bell mount, Itll make people aware of your presence all the same.. :wink:
Iver.jpg

But man that's crazy about that rear rack! I really love this thing, don't stop what your doing!!

Hammer the Hammer (Iver Johnson) very awesome build

I really would like to find an old holster for my iver(s)

this one needs some machine work on the cranks and i need to start getting clever with the seat, because i just cant find a proper collar that will fit in my brooks b135...

775bcc43.jpg

495d1090.jpg

e7e33270.jpg

i also have this iver to deal with....

23361939.jpg

Latest posts

Back