Dyno Kustom pinstriped by Darren Wenzel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started this project a few years ago after I crashed my favorite Dyno Kustom Kruiser and destroyed the paint job. I repainted the bike in House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine over a Tangerine base. (Trust me, that is the short version of the work involved. More on that later.) It has taken me almost three years to find the right pinstriper. After waiting and being put off for over two years by the first pinstriper, he moved back to SoCal from Austin without ever touching the bike. However, this worked out great as a friend of mine in the Yay-Hoos car club in Austin hooked me up with Darren Wenzel. Darren does some amazing work: http://notstockphotography.smugmug.com/ ... 5712_7umGJ

He texted me last night with a photo of the first lines he laid down on my tank and chaingaurd. I was so stoked that I had to share this. Is that some gorgeous line work and design, or what?

5352076806_171e8f9bd8_z.jpg

Note that the paint has been sanded in anticipation of coating the whole thing in HoK UC-35 Klear when I get it back. The sanding and shop lighting makes the color look a lot more brown than it does with a gloss coat in the sunlight. You'll see...

Since I seem to have started posting this build at the pinstriping stage, I should probably step back and start at the beginning. Like I said, this was my favorite Dyno bike that I halfway jokingly referred to as my "museum bike" because I kept it ridiculously pristine. That was before I crashed it. Heavily. As in slid over a concrete barrier and into a drainage ditch. :cry: After I removed a few fender dents, repaired one side of the tank, and rewelded the chainguard mount, I sandblasted the whole thing down to bare metal.

5351498913_640442c221_z.jpg

Then I went over the entire bike smoothing out the welds and molding the fillets at every joint.

5351498907_e69e5f1fa4_z.jpg

After everything was smooth and clean, I primed it with PPG DPLF50 epoxy primer sealer. At this point I had to figure out how to set up a fixture so that I could spray the frame from all angles and be able to reposition the frame in the paint booth to make sure I covered all sides of the tubing. I also didn't want to have an unpainted section on the frame where the fixture attached. I decided to use my bike stand as the fixture so I sawed off a broom handle (it was a perfect fit into the 22.2 mm seat tube.) and mounted it to the frame using a sheet metal screw and a washer to fasten it inside the bottom bracket.

5351484047_f3cbeaa1ab_z.jpg

I also fabricated a rigid mount to hold the fenders in place using a bracket, some all-thread and a few nuts and bolts.

5351484041_2930c1d757_z.jpg

For the fenders and chaingaurd, I mounted the all-thread to a 2x4 frame I attached to my garage ceiling. I made a temporary paint booth using thin plastic sheeting and some ZipWall spring loaded poles. (ZipWall is typically used to control dust when you are renovating an existing house so that you can keep the dust contained.) Notice that I left enough of the broom handle sticking out of the frame so that I could spin it easily during the spraying. The parts are now sprayed in HoK KoSeal II.

5351484043_d1ecba3445_z.jpg

Here's the outside of the spray booth after the first coat of tangerine base.

5351484035_f1a3de262a_z.jpg

I used a couple of space heaters set on "fan" and a couple of air conditioner filters for my ventilation system. And also a good charcoal filtered face mask. :wink:

5351484031_1b6379ab89_z.jpg

Here's why the charcoal face mask is so important. Check out the fog of HoK UC-35 Klear:

5352076828_0a56e76380_z.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I pulled it out of the booth and into the direct sunlight. Now you see what I mean about the color changing in different lighting. I've never seen this extreme range of light to dark on a single color paint job.

5352076826_c37728eebf_z.jpg

I took this photo half in the light and half in the shade to show the color difference.

5352076820_e01444efe7_z.jpg

The chainguard. At this point it was really tough to wet sand all of these glossy parts, but I knew I wanted some killer pinstriping and then another coat of clear on everything.

5352076812_0761bdff00_z.jpg

Now it's just a matter of getting the striped parts back, clear coating, and assembly.

That stripe work is top notch :!:
Your attention to detail on this build is quite impressive.

WOW - amazing! :shock:
And that colour is just freakin' gorgeous!

Thanks guys! I think Darren's striping work is going to put it over the top. Now I'm starting to get nervous about the last coat of clear... :wink:

looking forward to seeing the finished job

Double Nickle said:
What kind of tires are you going to use?

I'm planning on using the original Dyno Super Sliks on black anodized rims. I'm keeping it true to the original Dyno Kustom Kruiser components so it will be a matched custom version of my Dyno Von Franco. They should look pretty cool cruisin' together.

Edit: I got a text from Darren saying that he will be coming into town today with all of the parts striped. 8) Not only is he talented, but fast too! If this looks as good as I think it will, it's going to be Christmas part II this evening. I'll post some pictures as soon as the parts come in.

I just picked up the pinstriped parts from Darren. Wow. Check out his work:

5355703330_2ce1930259_z.jpg

5355703326_c7b7521c5f_z.jpg

5355703310_fce42f7b20_z.jpg

5355703298_ec141f6023_z.jpg

And here's the man himself putting on the finishing touch:

5355703286_4b67c8b850_z.jpg

Now the hard part for me is going to be waiting a couple of weeks to let the artwork throughly dry before I put on the final clear coat. :roll:

Back