easy cheap way to clean up oxidized alloy crank?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Any tricks? After removing spray bomb paint the alloy crank is pretty ugly. Hope I can use stuff I have around the house to shine it up some.

See if it has clear anodizing on it, if it does you need to strip that before polishing. Oven cleaner may strip it but it's harsh on aluminum.
index.php

Ya, hard to tell what the aluminum looked like before the strip. It's sure dull now tho. Maybe just roll the patina route, matches the swap meet pedals anyways. :D

If the anodizing is off -looks like its with the dull color. If it is spotty, thats bits of anodizing still on there.

almost any mild abrasive will clean it up, mothers mag and wheel polish would be first choice. Household products: comet cleanser-bar keepers friend, Toothpaste, baking soda/water/soap mix, these will all take off the oxidation. To get it really shiny go with mothers by hand, or get it on a buffing wheel.

The pedals will clean up the same, polish center it's alum, pull the cages off and repaint, wire wheel and paint the shaft. I rebuilt a set of suntour pedals recently, not much different than a wheel bearing.

Maybe just roll the patina route, matches the swap meet pedals anyways. :D

Those look pretty good as is. Polishing can be a can of worms. Once you get a shiny spot other things look dull. +if they're anodized that can be some work. Oven cleaner won't quite get all of it and you need to do a lot of sanding usually.

If you have Greased Lightning , give that a try. It works fast. Be ready to rinse with water , and protect the bare aluminum alloy from atmosphere oxidation with polish. Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works well. Wear protective gear for hands , face ,and eyes.

If you have Greased Lightning , give that a try. It works fast. Be ready to rinse with water , and protect the bare aluminum alloy from atmosphere oxidation with polish. Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works well. Wear protective gear for hands , face ,and eyes.
Thanks! I see local Wallyworld carries it.
42699c91-b097-4703-824a-b11c1103b901_1.1537396f45a29b7faf00504cd059bb49.jpeg
Anyone use the "mini power ball"
7f6e1add-681e-4919-914e-48dcb1a886b4_1.eb0e71e01abb93ea6c479942e6c64087.jpeg

or "powercone"
e80f76bc-9f65-42b1-945d-8a75872e72bc_1.028fbcc52686f54e4dbd42628c33ed2a.jpeg

on cranksets?

Mother's will work on raw alum. I'd think ur cranks are coated if not at least anodized. I'd try wet sanding them out then polish

Back