Ed's '41 Elgin DeLuxe (Build Thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up small parts, rook crank out, took fork apart, found another set of jC Higgins truss rods, the Elgin's are bent. Need to replace headset and bottom bracket bearings. I tried fitting the tank which I guess is an after market deal that doesn't quite fit. I did some metal trimming and still need to tweak the rear at seat post, also need longer screws. It should eventually be good.
More thought on colors has me thinking green frame and fork, black fenders, black tank with lime green ring and frame green center with some lime green striping and white trim.
I have chainguard ordered but it's not of Elgin origin, not sure how it will look. It was cheap.
8fed1bc74a5a23e51b125a37d37cbd97.jpg

e4fb1a69eba2f800f25a080d87010f28.jpg

I'll probably paint the tank first as a appearance test. I may end up trying several different schemes. I've also given some thought to trying to make the paint look weathered. Who knows where it will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like your 'make the paint look weathered' idea! Here's what I did with my brand new, red and white 'Cold Beer' sign on Beer Boy Delivery last year. Just used Rust-Oleum Satin Summer Squash to fade the overall color and then a light misting of Rust-Oleum textured paint, this was Rustic Umber multi-color. I used the Autumn Brown multi-color textured on the cranks, rims, etc.
IMG_20150519_191223.jpg

IMG_20150520_202739.jpg
IMG_20150530_101216.jpg

It's a fun, and fast, way to get your own custom aging look!

A few of Thea's frame are popping up this year . I just used one in the klunker build off. Looks like that repop tank fits well also . I wonder how they would work. Glad you're stem popped . I just pick a stem like that up & wasn't sure what it was from , now I know ... Geter Done [emoji106][emoji106]

I did a few more modifications to the tank to get it to fit at seat post, cleaned off the cosmoline and shot it with primer. I got the front fender back from a fellow Coaster who rolled it for me. It looks like new. I had beat a few major dents and twists out of it but it really needed rolling. I gave it a coat of semi-gloss black as an experiment in color. I also striped the fork pieces sanded and primed them. They are to get light hunter green again as part of the color experiment. Rear fender on the way.
6d521046d191e53ec1230dbf2ebd075b.jpg

6665dd7df2dea4b8b3167ebcdcbf817f.jpg

7971949005d4571741afb5a3930a2516.jpg

c4feda76714e88718cd01ead03511e4b.jpg

5bad20174cb92d43779d1d88e992ac59.jpg

0ff65930f72d57f37fe63345e86b7ea3.jpg

A few of Thea's frame are popping up this year . I just used one in the klunker build off. Looks like that repop tank fits well also . I wonder how they would work. Glad you're stem popped . I just pick a stem like that up & wasn't sure what it was from , now I know ... Geter Done [emoji106][emoji106]

I need to go take a look at your klunker thread.
I noticed someone had one of the stems on eBay for $70...

I need to go take a look at your klunker thread.
I noticed someone had one of the stems on eBay for $70...
Brave heart is the name on the klunker .
I just got my stem at a vintage bike show this past weekend for 10$

The tank got a layer of black today. When I went to hang them up to sun bake I dropped one of them. Dumb mistake will require some spot sanding and some more paint. Live and learn.
9734d76140d97ce6f67b247ec0c115c7.jpg

4a69ddfa5adf0f353b4b64883155afd1.jpg

I knocked out the bearing cups from the frame to clean up. I'd like to remove the headbadge rivets in order to blast or strip the frame. No luck drilling them out or knocking them out from the backside.
I was cleaning some parts and dropped one the fender screws in the grass and ground debris. I got out my magnet and started a sweep but our Beagle found it first, good dog.
a742764c5cb8e62df604715412860520.jpg

I don't have a lot of patience anymore so I did some dangerous test fitting of parts. I wanted to see the color contrast with some components in the mix. So I pulled out the wheel/tire, fork, fender and a brace.
I've had the curved fender braces for a long time and they came painted metallic yellow, just remembered I had them. I've tried selling them at swap meets to no avail. Anyway I precariously balanced this all together. I think the fender brace needs to be a copper color or green, maybe a black tire. I'm not going for a John Deere look even it may appear so. Trim paint to come.
5dc6d7e76377e85029293ff1a092ad64.jpg

cc246fc54e81a94b24e8c437f01f9717.jpg

Just painted the fender braces copper. I think I will do the truss rods also. Copper and brass are good. Of course gold is better.

That picture scared me when I saw it. So glad that I actually read the post to know that you aren't going John Deere on us. I bet copper looks nice.

That picture scared me when I saw it. So glad that I actually read the post to know that you aren't going John Deere on us. I bet copper looks nice.
Funny, I have a Nirve John Deere bike with a similar color pallet. Trying to give this Elgin a classy look. In working on this bike I'm finding what appears to be original black and green though a bit lighter. According to Sears catalog reprints in '41 the boys and girls were offered in two tone green and green and black with white trim. Found this photo on another site.
220631aa5e3d17d1265f874ad6046b28.jpg

Always wondered how one of those tanks would fit, About got one until I got my long tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Doesn't fit perfect, had to cut some edges. It still has some gaps, but close enough for a rat build.

Back