Ed's '41 Elgin DeLuxe (Build Thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I have a Nirve John Deere bike with a similar color pallet. Trying to give this Elgin a classy look. In working on this bike I'm finding what appears to be original black and green though a bit lighter. According to Sears catalog reprints in '41 the boys and girls were offered in two tone green and green and black with white trim. Found this photo on another site.
220631aa5e3d17d1265f874ad6046b28.jpg
This bike ^ is screaming for a TRM Convertible tank! With those skirts, curved lines, and stand....wow!

Stripped the truss rods, sanded and primed them. They will get hammered copper to match fender braces. It appeared that they were originally white over bare steel, no chrome.
04c4172c44664996678e663915594fa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raining here for a couple of days so paint is on hold.

Ed, I like the grey tires. They might look really good with your blend of 'metal' colors.....and yeah, I'll probably get the second half of my TRM tank fit today and then we have rain forecast for the next three days. Timing....:doh:

Ed, I like the grey tires. They might look really good with your blend of 'metal' colors.....and yeah, I'll probably get the second half of my TRM tank fit today and then we have rain forecast for the next three days. Timing....:doh:
Still not sure about tires...finally gave up on getting headbadge rivets out so I ground off their heads. Then I was able to punch them out. This messed up the headbadge a bit. I have an alternative that I might use. Contemplating stripping or blasting the frame. One way requires a lot of labor while one requires some coins. Still waffling on colors.
37784d1b49de81bb2fcb5be483909b05.jpg

277a867626b4fdf56e823ace077c7196.jpg

I found quite a bit of corrosion under the headbadge. I dropped the frame off at Soft Strip for media blasting.
Raining today so I'm just thinking about building.
a7019f3c3fe3e9a9136a2ac8ed39c075.jpg

I found quite a bit of corrosion under the headbadge. I dropped the frame off at Soft Strip for media blasting.
Raining today so I'm just thinking about building.

I'm now wondering if your note pad has influenced your color choices?

I'm now wondering if your note pad has influenced your color choices?
No not really, just coincidence.
The greens, black and white come from Sears catalog descriptions. The front fender had green hidden under a couple of layers of acquired paint. The frame had some green, white and black evidence under the added red. The copper is an extension of the copper wheels. It may look like a carnival ride when done, we'll see.

Working with front fender experiment today, took forever to mask things off. I'm using STRIPER stencil tape leftover from two years ago for fender stripping. The copper came out pretty good, a couple place will need tweaking. The tape being old left some adhesive in a couple of place also.
5885a9d51b58706e73072609125e42fd.jpg

Masking stripes.
f24884113677ad8fb5d4b1f9194c913d.jpg

5452ce0d5d647b1b528ac306265f4afc.jpg

Paint result with hammered copper
9461c4ea23f5650cf626806a4c339432.jpg

Got the rear fender today as well pretty rusty to say the least. Pretty straight for being 75+/- years old.
3d9bde2994d2d5590d5622d883223017.jpg

Like your style! Fender looks good.
Thanks, I have the center rib left to do and a dart at front tip. Two more colors I think.
Our Beagle likes her sticks with patina as well, rat rod sticks I guess...
e400c6e4a30301194afe079e10866aa3.jpg

Thanks, I have the center rib left to do and a dart at front tip. Two more colors I think.
Our Beagle likes her sticks with patina as well, rat rod sticks I guess...
e400c6e4a30301194afe079e10866aa3.jpg
Does she hang out with you while you are working on your bikes? Our Dusty is a good 'shop dog' as well....Cairn Terrier...

Does she hang out with you while you are working on your bikes? Our Dusty is a good 'shop dog' as well....Cairn Terrier...
She isn't front yard trustworthy yet. Thus I have moved my tools to the backyard as required. She is attentive depending on what I'm doing and if I set something done where she can get to it she snags it and have to barter to get it back. Not quite 5 months. Shade tree build this year.

She isn't front yard trustworthy yet. Thus I have moved my tools to the backyard as required. She is attentive depending on what I'm doing and if I set something done where she can get to it she snags it and have to barter to get it back. Not quite 5 months. Shade tree build this year.
Yeah, I've moved from the garage to my BACK40 building this spring. Dusty has free reign (12 yrs old) but has only wandered to the back a couple times to sit in the doorway. Probably have to get a rug for him so he feels more at home...

Back