Elgin / Collegiate ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought myself an Easter present off CL today. From the pictures, I thought I was buying an Elgin, but when I got to see it in
person, I saw that the head badge says it's a Collegiate. Once again, I'd love for someone to tell me more about what I have.
I know it's the wrong fork, and the stem is totally jammed in there hard.. probably a hacksaw job right there, but everything
else looks great. It even came with the original wheels (rough shape) and skip-tooth sprocket.

4492506704_0961ba767e_o.jpg

Collegiate was just the name given to some of Elgin's (Sears) lesser models. They are the same bikes, just different headbadge.
Love those frames with the swept seat posts. They use the gothic style fenders and accept the Elgin "long tank".
A very do-able restoration or a sweet frame to Rat.
Jeff

Cool, thanks for the info.. not sure what I'm going to do with this one yet, especially since I've got two others started, but I love the lines of this frame. Uh, why didn't anyone tell me how addicting this stuff was!?!?! :shock:

i have 1 also mine is complete and rideable mine is a 38 elgin made by murray i cant find a tank 4 it anywere goodluck and yes bikes r a addiction and a habbit but we love it i have 38 bikes now and want more goodluck with it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a 37ish Ladies' Collegiate:
adamtinkererscollection2001.jpg
I also had a Westfield built "Columbus" which had an almost identical headbadge! (Westfield built most Elgins up to 38, when Murray took over the lion's share. Curved seatpost models like yours are by Murray. -Adam

very nice frame, one of my favorites. love the ornate headbadge too. someone on here had one a while ago, was gonna build it up boardtrack style, but never came thru. it was yellow and had amazing patina.

heres a collegiate i picked up about a year ago. it has the correct fork,just no fenders! :D also have a girls model with original fenders,crank and sprocket.
DSCN1087.jpg

Latest posts

Back