ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the props ya'll. @GuitarlCarl , one of these days I'll get more confident with welding like you guys do!

Just had another nice visit with Tyler and Don from AVBS! It's always fun when they come by, good folks!

Tyler seemed to like the Decoluxe fenders. Here's the finished fuaxtina and pinstripes...
View attachment 29616
View attachment 29617

Absolutely and undoubtedly my favorite fenders of all time.

You took the coolest fender (Monark) and made them cooler with the extension while painting them with the best color scheme and aging them to perfection.

Top notch.

Oh yeah, the braces aren't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62557410.jpg

Note to self: Must have TRM Tank!
Highly encourage you to try it! Really enjoyed the creative opportunities with my TRM tank this year on 'One-Liner'.

Thanks ya'll!

I've been polishing bare metal today. I spent a couple of hours setting up a safe polishing wheel after Tyler and Don left and then started polishing the fender braces. The three on the right are 'before' and the others are after. I want them to have a chrome appearance but still look old and original if I can. I'll coat them all in boiled linseed oil to prevent rust when I'm done.
101_1464.jpg

I also polished part of my frame in bare metal.
101_1465.jpg

With this years trend of polished frames, I felt the peer pressure to join in.:21: Does this qualify me to join the club?:banana:

With this years trend of polished frames, I felt the peer pressure to join in.:21: Does this qualify me to join the club?:banana:

:21:..You'll know when you're there....:)...did you polish the rims? Hard to beat the passionate fondling @kingfish254 gave to his Silverking though.

So it looks like the tire painting went well? (If that's what I'm seeing in the background.) and I spy another peep of the painted frame there too I think...:39:...boy this really is like Columbo..:D

So it looks like the tire painting went well? (If that's what I'm seeing in the background.) and I spy another peep of the painted frame there too I think...:39:
Good observation there Columbo! Yes the tire painting worked great. I used some rattle can 'trim black'. I also fished the rims out of the vinegar bath and buffed them down with fine steel wool and mineral spirits. I'll probably attempt some polishing on them also. I'm also thinking that It would look cool to paint the center raised section with the same dark brown as the fenders. What do ya'll think?

I shot a video of the tire painting but after a couple of failed attempts to load it, I went out and took this photo instead. I'll try to figure out the video when I get more time. Here's a tire and rim.
101_1468.jpg

...just one more thing, yes that is the painted frame. :bigboss:

Finally got all caught up on your build. As I said before you're a true craftsman. Love watching your build thread & reading the explanations . Your a master in more ways then one . You have pulled off a remarkable amount of work in a short time & I'm sure your not retired with plenty of time on your hands. Can't wait to see the portfolio at the finish line of this piece of rolling art...

Paint the rims, it'll look good.
I think so. I'll know for sure tomorrow! Got the insides painted for rust prevention today.
Nice work on the filler and sanding and more filler and more sanding ..... You should have been a body man !
:13:
Who's the guy doing the pin stripes for ya looking great the pin stripes that is [emoji6]...
I think we're all rooting for ya getter done buddy you can do it [emoji1303]
Love it!!! Well done:praise:
Thanks yall!
Finally got all caught up on your build. As I said before you're a true craftsman. Love watching your build thread & reading the explanations . Your a master in more ways then one . You have pulled off a remarkable amount of work in a short time & I'm sure your not retired with plenty of time on your hands. Can't wait to see the portfolio at the finish line of this piece of rolling art...
Actually I am semi-retired. After failing to finish my first build off bike a few years ago, I try to get as much done as possible early into the build. But even with extra days every week, I'm still having to sprint to the finish. There are things on my list that won't make the deadline.

Just to add some input into painting the rims or not.

Deluxe prewar bicycle had chrome rims and none deluxe/standard bikes had painted rims.

I'm also thinking that It would look cool to paint the center raised section with the same dark brown as the fenders. What do ya'll think?

Yeah with the pinstripe too right? and leave the edge bare? That might look cool....shiny is always good though.

Always love putting a tire on a hoop like that. Tire looks great on that rim.

:bigboss: Are you sure the rims not already painted and you're doing a faux choose?...seems slightly out of character and late in the game for a TRM choose....:39:...:21:

Just to add some input into painting the rims or not.
Deluxe prewar bicycle had chrome rims and none deluxe/standard bikes had painted rims.
Thanks, that helps.
:bigboss: Are you sure the rims not already painted and you're doing a faux choose?...seems slightly out of character and late in the game for a TRM choose....:39:...:21:
No bait and switch here. Tyler can back that up based on our discussion while he was at my shop. And actually I've thought about what Tyler said about the deluxe vs. standard and have decided to leave off any paint. Besides that, it saves me some precious time!
Looking good!

Luke.
Thanks Luke!

Back