elgin identification?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeighsPICs2010069.jpg

LeighsPICs2010070.jpg

LeighsPICs2010071.jpg

LeighsPICs2010072.jpg

Please help me identify this frame. Was told it was Elgin, had Elgin headbadge. Bottom brack stamped G6 with the numbers 59833 underneath. Looking for springer forks for it if anybody has them let me know. Thanks tabkat

I think I have the same frame as you do. Someone on here told me that is was an H.P.Snyder made frame but I'm not positive. Whatever it is, it should make a neat build. Gary
DSC03496.jpg

The differences between these two frames are about as subtle as it gets. B607, your frame was made by H.P. Snyder while Tabkat’s frame was made by Westfield Manufacturing. If you could put the two frames together, many of the differences would pop but the things that show in the photos are the proprietary differences in the exact shape of the rear dropout tangs and the differences in the shape of the tank opening. The top tube on the Westfield frame has a slightly more pronounced kink and the lower top tube is set higher in the rear and lower at the front. The shape of the rear bridges between the stays will be a more noticeable difference but they are not visible in the photos. If the frames had their original forks in place these would also be very different.

The original presence of an Elgin badge underlines that the Westfield frame was originally produced for Sears. Westfield was one of the two major suppliers for Sears at the time Tabkat’s frame was built (Murray was the other) but, oddly, the Westfield built models were not shown in the Sears catalogs after about 1939.

The serial number, G6/59833 is a typical Westfield/Sears number but they usually have a letter stamped in front of the five-digit serial number. That missing letter is the Westfield year code. The G6 is a secondary Sears’ date code and I have found that it runs one or two letters higher than the Westfield year stamp. G minus 2 = E, and for Westfield serial numbers, A=36 so the bike was probably produced in 1940.

The missing letter appears to be an "E",really tough to make out. Are there any sites where I could find pictures of original paint scheme? Gonna ride it rusty till spring then try to replicate original paint,

well....the scallops look to be the same style as my 38 zep.what i did when i redid my zep was to measure out all the scallops then when you go to repaint youll have accurate measurement to go from so itll all be the same.
as for pictures post this on the cabe or classic bicycle fanatics sites and youll get what youre after(btw....the closest ive found for the ivory color is from a 2000 chrysler pt cruiser....sorry i dont know the code off hand anymore but i bet you can find one in a car lot and itll be in the d/s door jamb)

Latest posts

Back