Elgin, Spitfire, and the X53

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After two-plus years away from the hobby, the dust from my divorce and subsequent "cramped" living quarters has finally settled and today it was time to get back to what I love. And it didn't disappoint.

Drove three hours round-trip and scored three in one spot. The first is a very crusty Elgin that I really just felt sorry for. The fork is bent and the head tube has had some welding done, but the price was good and if nothing else it will end up on a wall somewhere. I don't know much about it yet. It seems fairly complete. Not sure if it's supposed to have 26" or 28" wheels, but it's got a pair of mismatched New Departure's on it right now. The front is a black out hub. The pedals are also mismatched, but on of them had wood blocks which is a first for me:

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

The second was a Schwinn Spitfire which is somewhat ironic since I don't collect Schwinns or middleweights. Truth be told I really just dig the color--I haven't see too many in that shade of blue. The matching blue headbadge didn't hurt either. The previous owner had added a nice matching rack and truss-rods from a girl's bike. I think it's going to clean up really nice:

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

And last, but not least, my second Western Flyer X53. A lot of the chrome has seen better days, but any time you find one this complete you have to take a chance. Missing the headlight (but has a nifty aftermarket one on the bars), wrong pedals, mismatched grips, but otherwise complete. The guy even bought the dried out Cheng Shin whitewall tires off of me. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one yet, so for now it's going on the list of projects:

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

It's so good to be back. :)

Re: Independence Day

That Elgin's fenders look like you could make it into a 29er! :shock: :shock: How's the frame? Is that just patina, or is it rusted through?

Love the look of the X53! I hope you fix that one up!

Re: Independence Day

Man, just jump in. Those are nice
Love the Elgin. Was it badged elgin? The crank sprocket looks like a design found on some Mead Rangers

The X53 is nice too.

Way to go!

Latest posts

Back