Evans come home

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting one of these for a while now that wasn't priced like two months mortgage payments.Luckily I was able to sell a bike to a fella who I met at the Dudley swap at a later date since he didn't have enough $ at that particular moment to help fund this new project.She's on her way home and I have some hotrodding plans already bouncing around my melon.Whadya think,open to suggestions?
$_1[1].jpg

Last edited:
She's a beauty and you're fortunate to have that ever elusive tank. Hot Rodding it Eh? Hmmm....Great Find, Congrats.

I'm still on the lookout for guard and tank for mine if it doesn't find a new home.

Well hot rodders normally remove anything that doesn't make it go faster so just send "Late for dinner" the tank and guard and you'll both be happy... :21:

Thanks everyone for the comps but the word "hotrodding" is used loosely as least for me.I think I'm going to build it along the lines of my Spaceliner [check out "show me your spaceliners" thread] or the ColumbiaTorpedo in ["show your quality spray bomb job"] threads.I'm open to suggestions though:39: & appreciated

Been wanting one of these for a while now that wasn't priced like two months mortgage.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for this one? I know the one in the pic with jokey was listed on feebay and it was fetching a good chunk of change.

Need a x-53 chain-guard and fork. Also looking for a beehive springer for a girls jc higgins.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for this one? I know the one in the pic with jokey was listed on feebay and it was fetching a good chunk of change.

Need a x-53 chain-guard and fork. Also looking for a beehive springer for a girls jc higgins.
I paid 600 and didn't mind because I'v been wanting one thats complete and in good restoreable shape.I saw one on the bay not nearly as nice for 900 and they don't come up all that often.The tank alone is at worth close to 300.Lucky for me and in the nick of time I was able to sell a beautiful 20" OCC Stingray chrome and candy blue three speed for 400 to help offset the purchase a bit.:dance2:

BTR you've been busy ! Congrats on that sale and good luck with the Evan.
You gonna ride it or park it in the Living Room Museum?...Stevil

BTR you've been busy ! Congrats on that sale and good luck with the Evan.
You gonna ride it or park it in the Living Room Museum?...Stevil
Gonna hotrod her out possibly along the lines of the Torpedo and run it,got a bunch of ideas but kinda hazy on whats final.Got the bike today and am happy with the purchase but as with all old stuff she needs a good go over.Worst parts on the bike are the square fenders and rack which have plenty of work to be done,dings etc,rest of it is very good!!! :thumbsup:Much to your disdain I will not be riding these more than the chops!

Ah!.... so you do have the squared fenders. I couldn't tell from the pics, but as you likely already know they limit your balloon tire size choices. I tucked 2.0s within and 24 X 3 without. But you didn't say balloon tires now did ya?
Checking out the Torpedo I'm confident that you'll find a way to get what you need out if it. Where should we be looking for this build? BO9 Perhaps?

Ah!.... so you do have the squared fenders. I couldn't tell from the pics, but as you likely already know they limit your balloon tire size choices. I tucked 2.0s within and 24 X 3 without. But you didn't say balloon tires now did ya?
Checking out the Torpedo I'm confident that you'll find a way to get what you need out if it. Where should we be looking for this build? BO9 Perhaps?
Tires are 26x1.75 but it sure looks like there is plenty of room for 2.125"s between the frame rails which would be great as I'd ditch the former for the later in a heartbeat if I'm gonna custom rat it.Fenders would probably be swapped out and not sure at this point with what.As far as when I'm getting to this one thats a good question as I still have to build the Torpedo and get that rail trail ready plus its bike riding time and not to forget YARDWORK :banghead:!!so this will be a slower build unfortunately.Mabey as time permits I can piecemeal it on the forum.

There's plenty of room for 2.125s on either end.
I think I just wanted to try my 1st 24" 3 speed rear at the time with the fat rubber. Mines back on 26s now.
Enjoy the season and hope to catch your possible build posts when it is time.

There's plenty of room for 2.125s on either end.
I think I just wanted to try my 1st 24" 3 speed rear at the time with the fat rubber. Mines back on 26s now.
Enjoy the season and hope to catch your possible build posts when it is time.
Thanks for the info,just got it totally out of the box last night,man o man that fella from Schwinn Twins packaged her with more cardboard and newspaper than a recycling plant,better safe than sorry though and he actually did a super job.Unfortunately the springer and fork are apart at this time otherwise I would have given it a quick mockup for some pics.I'll try and post pics semi soon.One thing for sure is that the wife likes this one with the O so cool jet plane on the tank:cool2:!!

That's good to hear that it arrived safely and your wife has taken a shine to it. The frame is a little smaller, so if she's not a real tall lady it should be a good fit!
I used mine around the neighbourhood but never installed a taller seat post for risk of damaging that long neck seat tube, but maybe I will try it.
I just stripped a Viscount 100 chainguard to replace the ones I've used before. Here are a couple of old reference shots for you. [URL=http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/latefordinner/media/HPIM5373_zps944d7108.jpg.html] [/URL]

Check out this wild child Evans on Ebay item #281350540501:13: WOW $1400 man o man I can hear someones wife yelling already:43:!!!
$_1.jpg
$_57.jpg
!!!!I think it 's a 24",could be wrong

Last edited:
That's good to hear that it arrived safely and your wife has taken a shine to it. The frame is a little smaller, so if she's not a real tall lady it should be a good fit!
I used mine around the neighbourhood but never installed a taller seat post for risk of damaging that long neck seat tube, but maybe I will try it.
I just stripped a Viscount 100 chainguard to replace the ones I've used before. Here are a couple of old reference shots for you.
Ahhh but I never did say shes getting this one:rolleyes:!! Really hope to get this together in a relatively short period of time but I do have the Torpedo to assemble first,luckily that has all pieces ready to go.I have hazy plans for an Evans "dragster" type of look with possible 2 speed kick back and 26x2.125 BOA rear and a 26 or 27x1.25 front wheel and tire depending on what fits and looks better. I like the way my Schwinn XL and Spoiler chops look with a taller front tire,so not quite sure yet what will be the fact just yet.It will most probably have the Schwinn "Big MO"64 teeth chainring on it just like my Torpedo and Spaceliner.This is already keeping me up at nite:crazy:!!! Hey thanks for you help,its appreciated:thumbsup:!

Last edited:
She's a beauty and you're fortunate to have that ever elusive tank. Hot Rodding it Eh? Hmmm....Great Find, Congrats.

I'm still on the lookout for guard and tank for mine if it doesn't find a new home.
This is a super longshot but check out ebay item#281353690727,this is a 1950's rollfast but I believe the tank is interchangable with the Evans,could be wrong.I'v noticed the price has dropped to $425 with a "make a best offer" offer:).A nice tank on these would probable fetch $300.What if you gave him a best offer and possibly see if he wanted to trade bikes and parts on the side in his favor?I guess it depends on how bad you want the tank and your bike certainly qualifies as a beauty and deserving of one.The killer part is the shipping but if you part the donor bike and sell whats left to recoup who knows?? :39:.As I said its a super long shot but ya never know what kind of deal you can strike up especially with the "buy it now" and this bike has been sitting a while on the bay and no offers.Good luck!!!

Back