Ever heard of Chicago Bicycle Company?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, I never heard of Chicago Bicycle Company before last night. My friends said they picked up two new cruiser bikes. They've been bugging me to find something like a 3-speed internal-hub mountain bike for them. I have said, well, no such thing really exists but we can build something (for about 2 years now).

Fast forward to earlier this month, they're in an antique store in the town where I live and they find these two bikes. They called me when they brought them home and what they told me about them didn't make sense. Mens and ladies cruiser frames, white walls, internal coaster-seven-speed Sachs hubs, drum brake fronts, 1990's build dates, and Made in USA? Come again? Who ? What?

So we did some research. Here's what Wikipedia says about the Chicago Bicycle Company. 200+/- bikes made, 50 prototypes and 50 by the legendary Waterford Cycles? As in Richard Schwinn, as in the home of the REAL Schwinn Paramounts? They folded before they really got going... a shame... put out of business by the downward spiral of Chinese bikes and fabrication technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bicycle_Company

So how crazy is it that two of them show up here? A matched set, internal 7-speeds, the top of the line model, drum brake front brakes, whitewalls, and virtually zero miles on them? Still had the mold lines down the middle of the tires!!!

Lovely bikes, steel frames with VERY nice quality welds, nice paint work, modern components and performance. 7+coaster rear hubs are a nice treat, seem to work flawlessly.

Anyone know anything more about them?

chicagos0427091824.jpg

--Rob

Oh yeah forgot to mention, they came with paperwork, option sheets, and brochures, and indicated that these were $849 when they were purchased!

--Rob

Really cool bikes. Too bad they still are not around because they were ahead of their time. Internal hubs on great frames

Woah, tons of great parts on there! Internal seven speed with drunk brakes, awesome.

I wonder if there is any way to tell with these if they were actually Chicago built or Waterford built, or one of the prototypes? The way I read the Wiki article, there aren't very many of these out there.

The components all seem to be Sachs. The front drums, the cranks, the hubs and shifters.

The frames have a CR-MO Tubing sticker down at the bottom of the seat tube. Not much on them for markings other than the cool pewter headbadges.

Very clean design, though riding them you do expect to have a right hand brake- the coaster actually takes some getting used to. When I ride a mountain bike or a "Hybrid" or an old Schwinn lightweight, I expect the freedom to spin my pedals backwards when coasting... these bikes quickly remind you that you can't do that.

I wonder what they're supposed to have for seats, because they have brand name (aftermarket, I believe) seats that don't match, and I think the men's has a ladies seat on it. At least it didn't seem to fit me correctly. They've been in the hands of antique dealers, so it's hard to guess what might have happened to them.

My friends were lucky to find them. They're good bike nuts themselves... they also have a 60s ladies Hawthorne, rescued from the side of the road in Providence RI, blue 26" coaster... a red Columbia built men's middleweight, perfect rat bike with faded paint and a mismatched but equally old red chainguard reading Meteor... and her prized possession, a 1959 Murray/Cleveland Welding 26" Fleetwing. Perfect maroon metallic paint, chrome guard, that Murray chainring, a twin-headlight tank that wraps the head tube, MO MFG rims, perfect white and orange M decals on the seat tube and rack, jet age yellow taillights, and original Vredestein wide whitewalls....

I know you're gonna ask, so here's the link to my original article about the Fleetwing:
http://www3.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/for ... hp?t=45360

Any more Chicago Bicycle info, please post here with what you can contribute. Trying to find out all I can about these.

--Rob

What a find.
I had bought one of these back in '96, green 7sp with drum brake front and rear, and wished thru the years that I would have bought at least a woman’s at the same time. Last year bought one in Cambridge Ma, red with white handlebars, fenders and chain guard, and lost one on eBay.
If I may ask, are these for sale?

I still have the promotional literature, the pricing and options etc.

The bikes were available in 3, 5 & 7 speeds. At the time there was an offer of a free helmet that I scoffed at, but asked for the rear drum instead, which they went for. I do remember that it was assumed that I, and everyone else I guess, wanted a coaster brake so that may explain why every ‘Chicago’ (except my green one) that I have seen or heard of has the coaster brake. I agree with the writer that said not being able to back pedal takes some getting used to, but it makes me feel like a kid when I ride it (it is my wife's bike, so that is not that often) because that is what I had most of my youth.

The funny thing about these bikes is how often we have met with friends for a days riding 20-30 miles only to get pitying looks for the way that they knew we would feel at the end, only to be ready a few hours later to continue on when they were done. The bikes are very comfortable and I'm not sure why. Just well thought out I guess.

Scott

I know where there is a pair of these Men and Woman model red..Both complete in fair condition..
Guy won't sell then to me because he has no idea what they are worth...

Much like the post above, my wife and I each bought one in the 90's. The store was on Kinzie in Chicago and they had a track you could ride on inside. A multitude of options were offered so a buyer could customize the bike. I opted to have an drum brake put on rather than a coaster brake. The bike is black with an internal 7 speed, drum brakes on the front and back and in good shape but very heavy, forty pounds plus heavy. I had to replace the Sachs shifting system which was a pain. Also, the seat had to be replaced from wear and getting an original seat has been difficult too. When I do ride the bike, it is comfortable and pleasant. I realize I won't win any races, but I win with comfort and style. The bike looks great and a does draw attention. I have wondered if there is any value but I have never seen one sold. Lastly, the business folded because the bikes were expensive for their time. Also, marketing the bike as a "beach cruiser" didn't seem to arouse much interest. I think one of the owners now has the Vermont Bicycle Company or something along those lines.

Latest posts

Back