"Evil Ways" ALMOST FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my vision. Find a wally ray, chop the back triangle off, and fabricate a built in wheelie bar system. Kind of a 60's gasser theme, definitely want flaked out candy paint. Not sure if i can get it done in two months with a limited budget and cold barn to work out of, but I'll try.

Re: Project "Wheelie Ray"

No drawings? What do you call that chalk outline in your garage :lol:
This may end up being a 26" big wheelie ray, can't find a cheap wallyray or even bratz bike anywhere. Anybody have either bike for sale?

I think I'm going to use this Western Flyer frame that I just scored, lower the rear end, curve the forks a little.

IMG_3007.jpg

Here's what I want in the end. Get rid of the cantilever, make it a straight bar frame. Lower the rear end. Curve the front forks out.

sloppyjalopy.jpg

I gave up on the wheelie bar thing, the more I looked at this bike I wanted to do a lead sled type bike. Not sure of a color combination, the bike will tell me along the way.

Re: Change of plans "Sloppy Jalopy"

Total change of plans and name. Posted a new concept pic above.

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/13

Finally had some free time today to get started on this frame. Cut out the cantilever bars, and bent up a piece of 3/4" tubing for the new lower bar.

IMG_3017.jpg

Forks before.

IMG_3018.jpg

Forks after. Some small notches and a little persuasion.

IMG_3019.jpg

Duct tape mockup. On the fence about altering the rear end, most likely will do something. Hopefully later this week I'll get everything sandblasted and welded up.

IMG_3020.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/13

Ok, I decided not to alter the rear triangle, but rather do something about those ugly huffy dropouts.

IMG_3021.jpg

So off they went, a little reshaping, and now to just finish them up. No more fugly dropouts, plus my rear wheel will sit a wee bit lower. :D

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/16

Got the frame all welded up tonight. It's dark, cold, and raining so this pic is all you get right now. Still need to blast all of the metal and get ready for paint, but I'm liking how this bike looks so far.

IMG_3025.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/19

Played around with some mock ups today and this is pretty much how it will look in the end. The seat will be lower, need to cut the bulge out of the post. Now that I see the final shape of things, I have a color scheme in my head that should look pretty cool. More to come...

IMG_0268.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/21

Mother nature decided to give me a nice warm day, so I got as much of the paintwork done as possible.

Skim coat of filler and tons of sanding, the part I hate.
IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

Etching primer.

IMG_3030.jpg

And finally paint, the part I love. I'm not going to show you the color on the other side of the guard, you'll just have to wait and see. :wink:

IMG_3035.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" PAINT 10/23

Here's a peek at the main color. I got everything done late last night just before the rain and cold came into town. I wish I had a nice paint booth for times like this :(

IMG_3045.jpg

necessaryevil said:
Here's a peek at the main color. I got everything done late last night just before the rain and cold came into town. I wish I had a nice paint booth for times like this :(

Is that rattle can paint or automotive? I'm not going to ask what color since it's a secret.
If it's rattle can, what brand?

It's hyperformance "Pete" Schwinn Coppertone. The factory color calls for a silver base coat, but I went with white. It totally changed the tone of the copper, and I'm really happy with it.

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" 10/24

Stripped down and resprayed the rims white, cleaned and rebuilt the hubs, and I have some new stainless spokes on order. Trying to find a cool back tire, one of those 26" sulky slicks, but haven't been lucky yet. I guess now it's just a waiting game until I can put this bike back together.

IMG_3055.jpg

Re: "Sloppy Jalopy" PAINT 10/26

Decided to checker the seat pan and use some leftover metalflake vinyl for a new cover. Still need to finish the edges a little better, and I've got some scratches to touch up, but it looks kinda cool.

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

An idea of what it's going to look like.

IMG_3071.jpg

Latest posts

Back