Expense

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious why most of the finds posted do not include the price that was payed? I always include the cost and can't comprehend why anyone wouldn't. Unless one is embarrassed or ashamed of the expense. Perhaps one wishes it to be kept secret? I inquire because this is one aspect I find most interesting, as well as make, model, history and acquisition(most of which are either included or eventually answered). Whats your two cents?

Moderators please feel free to move this as deemed necessary. I posted here as I feel it pertains and will be best noticed here.

Ratfink1962 said:
I think the biggest reason people dont post the buy price is because they might eventually sell it? And dont want people to know what they paid for it.
Count me in on this one. If I am going to sell it in the future I want the only price people get to be the one I set. Not what I paid for it.

I have posted prices on here before and then had the bike for sale locally, (not on here) and a person actually did research on my bike before contacting me saying they saw it on this site for way cheaper, what are the odds right? So anything I intend to sell , I probably won't post the price. I here ya though, I would love to know what some of the guys here are paying for these awesome bikes :D

rustymotors said:
Ratfink1962 said:
I think the biggest reason people dont post the buy price is because they might eventually sell it? And dont want people to know what they paid for it.
I find just about all the bikes I post..if not ..If I buy a bike usually around the 20 dollar mark..?
Most people buy em and part out for more money,, :wink:

It's one of those things where the new selling price has absolutely nothing to do w what you paid for it. But when someone finds out that you paid $20 for the bike they just paid $400 for, they aren't happy.

This is true... I thought it would backfire on me when I posted a buy price for a mini-bike I bought at an auction, then a year later I put it up for auction on ebay.

the thing ended up selling for 4x what I paid for it, and the buyers were happy to get it at that price, so I guess in the end everybody was happy.

Of course! The most logical explanation never occurred to me as I have not had intentions of profiting from my finds. Thanks guys for the reality check.

This is a hobby for most of us but we all operate on different financial levels. Some people might be uncomfortable letting everyone know they paid $300 for a bike that most of would only pay $50. Also others may not disclose there addiction is costing them some serious cash.

I normally post my paid price, I always say I don't care what I paid for it I care what I want for it. If you don't like my price I'll keep it and you can find another one and buy it. I might have gotten a steal on it but that's my score, I always give a reasonable price that is 2/3 of it's fair market value so I don't see any problem in making a little from them. I've lost money on plenty of them and NEVER had a complaint about that.

Back