F6 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok the times come and ive decided to include myself in this build off, I know I know *another Typhoon " is the cry, this Typhoon is different, an off road cross over thingy majiggy that was picked up from the dump for $10, yep its worth way more melted down, but all the add ons were rubbish, the frame is aluminium and im in love with the way its put together, everything else apart'from The frame is rusty, it also has no seat n pole so thats first on the list.
Named " F6 Typhoon" because its a Dunlop Typhoon for starters and the F6 is for a high speed build and no nonsense approach,

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_222457404.jpg
    PXL_20221015_222457404.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221015_222617102.jpg
    PXL_20221015_222617102.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
The seat post was first, unknown to me was this odd sized seat tube, I had 4-5 bikes in the chop pile and not 1would fit, no nonsense came to mind again and I found some pipe under the welding bench that was the correct fit, I then cut the top insert of a donor seat pole and welded that to the top of the pipe I found, cut it down a bit and "whallah" the new seat post is ready to roll,
The seat came off the donor mtb, this had the suspension already removed for the hot wheels drifter, the seat was in surprisingly good nick and she all went together well.

Attachments

• PXL_20221016_220133324.jpg
    PXL_20221016_220133324.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221016_220241220.jpg
    PXL_20221016_220241220.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221016_220355076.jpg
    PXL_20221016_220355076.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The seat post was first, unknown to me was this odd sized seat tube, I had 4-5 bikes in the chop pile and not 1would fit, no nonsense came to mind again and I found some pipe under the welding bench that was the correct fit, I then cut the top insert of a donor seat pole and welded that to the top of the pipe I found, cut it down a bit and "whallah" the new seat post is ready to roll,
The seat came off the donor mtb, this had the suspension already removed for the hot wheels drifter, the seat was in surprisingly good nick and she all went together well.
I have heaps of odd size posts if you need one in the future.

For anyone not living down under. The F6 Typhoon is a modern Aussie muscle car. Based on the Australian Falcon, improved by FPV, featuring the turbo barra engine, known for making big power. View attachment 213542
Have had ours since 2007😁
Thanks old mate! I was gonna mention its also one of my fav aussie muscle cars, I didnt realise theres a few of us on this site from down under so well done to the admins.
Did you notice in the description I said it was an F6 due to the speedy build and no nonsense!.... well thats exactly what that red car of yours is all about! and you should take a lot of comfort out of that coz ive always been a holden fan but when the F6 came along it rewrote all the rules on the street! theres many a happy barra story for all LOL!

Made some bars up yesterday, I had a chopped set from the repco grind, the straight ends removed and went on to the blue meanie as did the rear section of the frame, so I took another set of single mount bars, halved them, then welded those to the ends of the BMX bars, this gave the widest coolest Brahma bull horns,
It wasn't all plain sailing, the proper mounting position had the bars too high, to counter this I attached the bars by the cross support on to the original bars,
This worked but now the original bmx bars design was working against what I was after,

Attachments

• PXL_20221016_215734393.jpg
    PXL_20221016_215734393.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
So I didn't like the bottom square on my first attempt...... So I chopped em down and tried to be inventive and tricky, well what a bloody disaster, needless to say this mod lasted about 30 minutes before the grinder was fired up..

Attachments

• PXL_20221018_002533851.jpg
    PXL_20221018_002533851.jpg
  • PXL_20221018_003414217.jpg
    PXL_20221018_003414217.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Ok I couldn't help but be inspired by the seat clamp on the iron horse build, in fact it's thrown my mind back to my school days and yes I had one on my club track bike, I honestly felt faster just knowing it was there ha ha.
So I re modded the seat post to kick it back at the top, threw some blue hammertone over the bars too and noe we have a set..
Wifes day off tomorrow so I got the ute, hers is still off the road for a week yet so I can nip out and grab some smalls, maybe some fork's too

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_044742312.jpg
    PXL_20221020_044742312.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
So I get the car today, only after school drop off, groceries, daughter to boyfriends and then nails, and headed out to grab forks,cranks and Small's for the build when I decided to copy the wife and take as long as I could and add in a couple extra stops.
First up the recycling shop at our local dump! Being friday and just opened it was a festering hive of feral type's (just like me) bickering and squabbling over items, I took a wide berth to the bike racks and found this beauty.
A Reid X1-29 mtb L , only missing the front wheel and you guessed it.... Seat n Post too.
While not a carbon fibre race machine this things got gear on it that's.....well light yrs ahead of anything else I got here LOL.
Most of it will end up on the F6,, the bars n gooseneck are a size I've not seen yet and can't fit my new bars, the forks n cranks get to move as well as the brakes and even the front cogs can come over too.
You guys may laugh but those gear selectors....well I've never seen them before and they gonna look trick on the Brahma bull bars, the gooseneck and bars here will go on my personal ride (Diamondback Overdrive) and I'll hang the reid frame for a build after xmas sometime.
Oh and because there's no seat or front wheel it's classed as non rideable so they sell these bikes for the heavy sum of $10.
Needless to say I cut the trip short and raced home with the goods

Attachments

• PXL_20221021_021136864.jpg
    PXL_20221021_021136864.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221021_021241085.jpg
    PXL_20221021_021241085.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221021_021402850.jpg
    PXL_20221021_021402850.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Didn't take long, forks are straight and have adjustable preloading, great!! Tektro brakes are a in a class not found in my neighbourhood, I have scored,
sorry everyone, I've always been in the low -middle income bracket, these things have always been out of reach for me and I finally get some better gear...from the DUMP!!!
JEEEEZ I gotta get out more LOL

Attachments

• PXL_20221021_032328579.jpg
    PXL_20221021_032328579.jpg
Didn't take long, forks are straight and have adjustable preloading, great!! Tektro brakes are a in a class not found in my neighbourhood, I have scored,
sorry everyone, I've always been in the low -middle income bracket, these things have always been out of reach for me and I finally get some better gear...from the DUMP!!!
JEEEEZ I gotta get out more LOL
And if you stumble across a wheel or more with disk the fork already has the caliper bosses 👍

And if you stumble across a wheel or more with disk the fork already has the caliper bosses 👍
Dammit...the forks didnt fit.....and I had a spare seat n tube......yep, its an alloy frame so its got the funny seat post size ha ha ha ! at best I can salvage the crank set! I have pedals etc, I even had a spare set of cheap MTB forks but the head tube isnt long enough!.....
But....I have a plan to finish the build!
For now the REID gets hung and ill have a crack at removing the crank set off but knowing my luck ill get em off but I wont be able to get the F6 cranks off...or somthing LOL

Last edited:
Wow, crank set was an easy swap, quite an interesting design the sun race cranks, real fat looking side on but look from the front and only 1/4 the thickness. .and I see they're aluminum, cogs n all. not the biggest though, that looks to be steel so ummm not sure ...I may replace the pedals
They look ok anyways, happy camper here! given the bike a tuff look!

Attachments

• PXL_20221021_052704572.jpg
    PXL_20221021_052704572.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221021_052819847.jpg
    PXL_20221021_052819847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice pickup. That's the thing about that era of bikes, the tech bros have moved on to whatever the latest and greatest is, and the old stuff gets left by the wayside. Then folks like us come along and recognize that it is still a really good bike and will easily outdo most of what is sold new at the department store, and some of the bike shop stuff too. It becomes a fun game to outgun someone using far more expensive gear than you

head tube isnt long enough!.....
Depending how long the steer tube is on those forks you could use a spacer or cut the tube down and re-thread it. I just ordered a die for this for whenever I may encounter that situation.
may replace the pedals
The pedal cages look worn and may be slippery off road in the rough stuff, but the look of them is good. Nice parts haul! It's nice to move your project forward like that and for such a low price. Good stuff!

Depending how long the steer tube is on those forks you could use a spacer or cut the tube down and re-thread it. I just ordered a die for this for whenever I may encounter that situation.

The pedal cages look worn and may be slippery off road in the rough stuff, but the look of them is good. Nice parts haul! It's nice to move your project forward like that and for such a low price. Good stuff!
and its got 27.5 wheels! Grrrrrrr I got spare 26's and 29's.... but this one! jeeeez, im seeing why its at the dump now, maybe parts were hard to come by ha ha , but I did notice the rear derailur was all buckled n bent, the rear rim also has a slight buckle but it looks to me as if someone or the the owner had a hissy fit and stomped on the derailur real hard, bending and warping it and buckling the wheel a bit in the process, the rear stays look to be straight with the eye, theres no visible large impact from an accident so it really does look like a tantrum sorta thing,
and yeah I seen some cool pedals on Ebay, cheap too LOL!
did you guys notice the rain in the pic's, been raining for a few days here in brisbane with heavy rain expected all weekend, a low system is forming up north and moving towards us, flood warnings out already, this current system is covering the entire state of queensland, saw on the news the town of Boonah is flooded and all that water flows past the end of our street but takes about 2-3 days to get here!, i'll keep ya's posted, its fun coz it means no work either.....hang on heres me buying alls sorts of stuff on ebay.... better put a halt to that for a week LOL

Latest posts

Back