F6 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still raining so everything is moved to the man cave, All old smalls removed awaiting the new cable's and outers, I haxe them hereebut its Saturday arvie and beer number 4
Cant wait to replace yhose dreaded forks
Ya can see the DUMP reid hanging higher n dry ready for a post xmas spend. Up.
Yes I made those drums 😎😎😎

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_063313009.jpg
    PXL_20221022_063313009.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
As a bike shop employee for 34 seasons, I have experienced all the 'ins and outs' of frame materials and sizing, steer tube changes and head set options, forks threaded and non threaded, rear triangle and hub spacing, hubs going from bolt on to quick release to thru axle, stems threaded 21.1 and 22.2 to 1 1/8" and threadless with clamps for 25.4 mm and 31.8 mm (the one you have on the Reid) to now 35 mm clamp and bars, mountain bike wheels and tires 26" to 27.5" to 29" etc, etc, etc. I'm not one that is quick to 'diss' the new or relish the way things were, or the fact that changes have made us upgrade or pay up to make our old bikes work with new technology. We can go all the way back to the early days of Schwinn and all their proprietary sizing if we want to complain! :grin:

The fact that you found the Reid at your thrift store should prove that 27.5" tires are probably available. But depending on your frame, which appears to be aluminum and a tight wheel / tire fit for the 26ers already on there, probably not enough room for the bigger wheels anyway. Your bike is coming together well! Your custom bars and matching seat post give it that 'one off' look and your cranks fit the bill nicely.

Now, on to the really cool stuff in your photo; your drums! Very cool!
They look to be a stave built style? And a variety of woods used as well. Are those natural skins for the heads? Please tell me more! :nod:

thanks man, those drums are all made in house, I used to play Bomba, native to puerto Rico, my neighbor across the street is an ex new yorker who was born in PR but raised in NYC, he came to australia in 1988 with the us military, partied hard here during world expo 88 then met an aussie bird and is still here, ended up living across the street, he got me back into drums, in my late teens and very early 20's I played in a heavy metal band "Ceremonial Death" was the name! it was just a garage band, only involed booze n.....what ever else bands get up to ! we didnt gig, only parties....but wild ones LOL
the neighbor taught me some rythyms and I picked it up real quick, he said why dont you buy some drums, life was a bit tougher then 8yr ago, so I started making my own drums, using a different timber in each one I made they consist of tasmanian oak (not pretty but very light) Spotted Gum (very pretty but real heavy) and australian Iron bark, one of the most hardest timbers in the world, ...pretty plain but good grains can be found but its brittle and real heavy!
thats why I just use tassie oak now coz of the weight and just stain them! or 2pac clear!
I started out making straight staved drums (all my drums are staved) held by 3 biscuits between each stave and held by good old gorilla glue,
They sounded ok but as I made them better they were starting to over-ring when playing real tight skins so I made a bending press, converted an old 50L air comp into a boiler and sat it over a fire and steamed the heck out of the steam box holding the stave's, this worked great but could only do 3 timbers at a time because ya lose heat in 10 seconds flat when ya take timber out of the steambox! so speed is a must....after a couple yrs of that drama I got it down to 7-8 staves at a time in the steam box, then wip em out real quick and lean on the press, 15 mins to cool and they stay bent, the success ratio is about 2 out of 10 can break but im doing all this at home with things ive made! but now will never make another straight barrel, the curved ones aucousticly are way better, the sound bounce's around the curved inner's and shortens the sound and fattens it as well! the over-ring has gone so they sound great now.
the skins are prepped at home too, when I was working as a stock feed driver I rubbed shoulders with....well farmers of course so cow,calf,goat and even skippy all had their turn at being belted on the drum well after they passed on to animal heaven! so it was easy to grab an animal skin, it stank the heck out of the truck, the ute and sitting at home drying on the fence was real good for neighbor relations... but I got it done!
after a few years it was apparent that goat skins were the best to use so I just use them now!
all the metal work is done here too! if anyone has noticed theres a very original design on the two drums on the shelf, the side plates are hidden inside the drum and only a single 10mm stainless shaft comes through the hole and the stainless turnbuckle hooks over it, then tightening is real easy as is loosening after events etc!, totally my neighbor and my idea, we even came up with the use of a wooden flesh ring, I was having real trouble trying to roll perfect circles in my steel bender for the skins pinch principle for tightening, the constant high humidity and then the dry and then wet weather all have the skin contracting and stretching overnight and the drums would constantly go out of tune! to fix this we came up with the idea of a wooden flesh ring so the top pinch ring can pinch through the skin then indent the timber forming a way better pinch n grab, stoping the thing from going out of tune!
i'll try n find some old vids and get some pics of my crude as F steam bender and boiler,,,, jeeez you guys will laugh but it all worked, some of these drums are 8 yr old, I didnt wanna sell any till I knew they would last at least 5 yrs, well they lasted but its real hard to sell em because drums like the african djembe, well thats an instrument thats 1000's of yrs old and refined etc, they sell brand new for $250-$400, and have an unmatched primo sound, mine cost $170 in materials alone and weeks to make, how the heck can I make anything on that idea ha ha ha , so for now they sit till he comes over for a beer or 3! I havnt made any for almost a yr now, I only got number to 14, Ive given a few away, peeps love em, just another old hobbie now~! still great fun, and free entertainment without the need for power!

Last edited:
Great read above. You have some amazing skills there. I worked for an importer a few years back who imported calf skins from India and congas with calf skins from China. We went through heck trying to clear the stuff through customs with the local authorities asking questions whether the skins contained brain matter..........................

OMG..... well its been 3 months and the poor F6 is just sitting in the pergola, its been finished this whole time but ive been busy with all sorts of other motorised projects and xmas and and....well here it is! I got this far and its as far as im gonna go! the bike itself came out better looking than I expected! I decided to paint the brakes racer red! this matchs the grips and go's well with the blue, the silver is the base color, the "Ford Falcon F6" came out in Red, Blue and silver with I think blood orange ?? you could get custom colors...not sure! but ive kept those colors for this bike! they mix n match well!
Rideability.... when first made this bike was my best performing machine, The forks were off a small 66cm MTB so they are quite spongy for my 82kg, what it does mean is the bike is flawlessly smooth and almost zero bumps, it also means any giant jumps may be out as I rekon it'll bottom out! but it does go really comfy round the local BMX track! it was the smoothest and most pleasant bike to ride .....but once i bought home the "great Scott" and then the wifes Schwinny and I started riding those around...well it was chalk n cheese really! so thats why the F6 has been sitting idle, I do still use it to pick the son up from the school bus hence the scratch's etc but once you get on some good gear then the other stuff you got sorta ...hmmmmm!
This bike doe's have the best brake's that ive got on any bike, you do have to be carefull coz serious front braking on this will see the unwary playing superman over the bars, even with the super sponge fork!!! the bike is good for mono's though so when I do ride it thats usually the order of the day/ride, popping mono's everywhere, or trying too LOL! the soft forks are a godsend here! coz until you nail the wheelie aspect theres always a heck of a thump when the front reach's earth again!
Well here it is! this is my Dunlop Typhoon, so aptly named after the F6 Typhoon , an Iconic tuff auisse made car!
PXL_20230105_210120285.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back