Fairlady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikek: Yeah it's a beautiful place! I love it with the lake and the pine forests surrounding it! Seems like all stress goes away the every time I go there. :)

TommyTwoTime: Thanks! :D There will be fins... :wink:

Some more work done on the headlight:
Made a cap. Not sure that's the right word for it but you see what I mean. :)
Framlykta9.jpg

Framlykta10.jpg

Glued together with polyester resin. After this photo was taken I applied some more strips of fiberglass and resin to the joint to make sure it'll hold up well and make a smooth transition between the shapes. I also shortened the cap a little. More photos to come of that.
Framlykta11.jpg

Here's the start of what will be the reflector:
Thick paper and tape.
Framlykta12.jpg

A thin piece made of two strips of fiberglass to put at the back of the reflector.
Framlykta13.jpg

Fiberglass and resin.
Framlykta14.jpg

Stay tuned for the next episode of Fun With Fiberglass! :D

Wow :shock:

you are realy a creator !,verry nice work cant wait to see more of it :wink:

That’s not fare!! My fiberglass didn’t turn out that smooth!! Beautiful view and beautiful work! :D
You know I will be following this one. Feel’n Itchy? :shock:

Thank you everybody for the kind comments! :D

davy B: I wasn't sure how it would turn out to start with either, but I had an idea it would work and it did, and I'm happy with how it turned out! Yes, you should start playing with fiberglass! :D So much that can be made from it...

deorman: Thanks! That's what it is!! :D

Half Link: Maybe it's due to my pieces being a whole lot smaller than your sidecar, which by the way is turning out nicer and nicer every time I check!! Feeling itchy? You kidding me?! It itches everywhere!! :lol: Looooots of sanding! I'm lucky to be able to go down to the lake and wash the worst off when the ithcing gets too bad! But I found that instead of sanding everything down to a perfectly smooth surface right away, I sand it down just to get the worst high spots down and then I apply another coat of polyester resin. Then when that has cured I sand it down smooth (it might take yet another coat of resin sometimes...). Easier to sand polyester than fiberglass and it doesn't itch as badly, AND no need for body filler!!! :)

Here's some more progress:

I'd have a hard time trying to drill a hole with this since there's nowhere to plug it in!
Borr1.jpg

Enter ancient technology! :D
Borr2.jpg

Drilled two holes for the attachment of the led circuit in the reflector cup.
Framlykta15.jpg

Plexi for the head light:
Framlykta16.jpg

Drilled holes for threaded rivets.
Framlykta17.jpg

The tool for those rivets.
Mutternittng.jpg

Rivets in place.
Framlykta18.jpg

Tadaa!! :D
Framlykta19.jpg

Decided to make the chainguard from fiberglass too. Here's the cardboard templates taped together.
Kedjeskydd1.jpg

Fiberglassed front.
Kedjeskydd2.jpg

Fiberglassed back.
Kedjeskydd3.jpg

Also started on the rear lights. Yep, there'll be two of them...with fins on!! :D
Baklyktor1.jpg

Now I'll head back into the wild and continue sanding. :D I'll be back with updates soon!

Winters must be way to cold and dark to do anything in the winter. What is it, 6 hours of daylight and then you go back to hibernate? Then spring comes and you bud like a flower, fast and furious. The intensity of your builds are mind blowing. My eyes are all over your work. Your doing pretty good with this build. :wink:

I don't know what to expect next but keep it coming.

GL

HotRodJen: Thank you very much! You know, in my world I'm the apprentice. Observing what others have done and picking up ideas and trying out new things that I haven't done before to see what's possible for me to make. :)

FOUND OBJECTS: Thanks man! I'll just have to hope that doesn't peak before the bike's finished. "Oh...it looked so much better before paint..." :lol:

Graylock: Thanks, glad you like it! Yes, from december until march we have about 6 hours of daylight...in total! :lol: Not quite, but it's dark much of the time with probably around 6 hours of daylight each day. Unless you live farther to the north from me, then you'd have less. Anyway, with no proper place to build bikes in the winter I seem to compensate for that in the summer. Just so you know a little what to expect, skirtguards are planned... :wink:

Dan Jose: Yep, that's my main objective! Every time I start building something I think to myself " how can I make Dan jealous..." :mrgreen: :lol: Glad you like it! I've been thinking making a foam core and covering it with fiberglass might be something you could try out for that tank you have planned? :)

Here's some more photos:

Roughly sanded rearlights.
Baklyktor2.jpg

Paper templates for the lids for the rearlights.
Baklyktor3.jpg

Chainguard is done!! :D
Kedjeskydd4.jpg

More to come soon! :D
Thanks again everybody!

Wow! You have some great skills and natural talent. Your welding looks great and the fiberglass work is top notch. Is there anything you can't do?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDifaMAVXrg :lol: :lol:

Just so. :lol:

HotRodJen: Cool!! Go for it! Let me know if you're wondering about something and think I might be able to help. :)

Flame Jigger: Thank you!! :D I suck at juggling... :D

Got some more done on the rear lights:

Baklyktor4.jpg

Shark! :shock: Not exactly big and crazy fins, but more on the subtle side. I might sand them down even more once they're in place.
Baklyktor5.jpg

Made some simple but functional cardboard jigs to help get the fins on straight on the rear lights.
Baklyktor6.jpg

Today I'll try to shape some plexiglass into the right shape for the rear lights. Got my propane torch ready! :) Game on Wayne! :D

Back