Fat Fix (COLOR CHANGE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fat Fix

Thanks Steve and Lucas. I think the end result will look pretty good.

Complementary picture for this page
DSCF0002_zpsb8bf4940.jpg

This is a JD2 bender with a 1'' 180 degree die. Its what I use for my stays and this time also
for the legs of those forks.
Don't feel bad , even though I knew when I bought it I was going to cut the frame..It was hard to chop up.
DSCF0004-5.jpg

Walmart should've hired you,the original is one ugly.you are doing an awesome job! This bike makes sense,the other ones I've seen just look horrible.

I'm not sure what Walmart had in mind when developing these. The fat bike crowd hates them.
They spend lots of their money on real/expensive ones and when they see a copy like these, they
hate them. They have a big following around and lots of people are buying them. I felt like the
seat post was too short and there wasn't enough rake in the neck. I haven't really changed it much.
The springer was to see if I could build a decent one. The whole thing is just playing around. Just
happened to coincide with the buildoff. I really will probably drop out and move my post to the build
section when I finish. It was just for fun. :wink:

I laughed and almost fell out of my chair just saw this... I knew that bike was doomed to be cut up. Lol I know it will be an improvement. Work that magic!!!

You know me Chuck . I'm so vain I believe I can build a better frame then they can.
I guess they couldn't polish the wheels and add a springer for a $200 price point. :shock: :roll:
I did use part of their frame. I thought the BB, chain stay and dropouts were excellent. :lol:

The 'fat bike guys' hate them like 'muscle bike guys' hate the BFKs!! Hahahahahahaha........

I'm too busy enjoying myself to hate anything, bro!

Can't wait to see yours with the 'Uncle Stretch' treatment on it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey uncle stretch, was it these rims that you used the draino cocktail on? Or a different pair? Frame mods look cherry on that! I wonder where jake sensi is, I would've thought that he'd have shown up by now.

Ccd

I used Aircraft Stripper on these . They have a couple coats of paint or something
on them. The draino trick only works on rims that are Anodized.
Glad you like them.
Dr T I'm like you . Life is too short to not enjoy stuff, and these are fun as all get out.

Uncle Stretch said:
Thanks. They say the true color of the car was corvette flame red. I may have to paint it
that reddish orange that is called Allis Chalmers orange. it looks close. Maybe AutoZone
has the hugger orange. It was used alot too.
Actually the first generals was base coated gold with competition orange over that

Thanks Tommy. What you see there is close to $600 with the bender ,die , and building a stand. Not a cheap
toy, but works really well.

Lucas thanks . I hope there was no reason for Mongoose to design theirs different.
My fist ride will see if my design is better or worse. A little late to turn back now, I
doubt if Walmart will take it back. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF0001_zpsefabfe0a.jpg

Looks like a normal Beast to me. :D

You will have to wait and see it put together. Then I'm sure Walmart would balk
at the return. :lol:

Ok Luke and Bo won't have a signature on this one. I chose a color. Its by Rustoleum,
called stainless. Kinda maybe light tan. It went on thick and it felt dry to the touch.
Underneath is still wet. Did one of those your finger moved the paint. Oh well a little
touch up is in order. Other than that it looks good. I will let it dry for a day or so before
I try to put it back together.
DSCF0002_zps41113e1d.jpg

Well maybe a little together.
DSCF0002_zps0fb9b572.jpg

Back