Fat Giant Simple Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to up a worklog here of my mate Matt's (online nick 1000watt) latest cruiser.
He is a busy chap with family and work and has very little time to frequent forums. I thought the members here would appreciate his ride...

The following are Matts words as he describes the process of this build-->

Worklog

I have got tired of my chopper, and needed a new build.

finishedchopper1.jpg

I scored a Giant Simple frame with the right hand chainstays broken off, for free.
I wanted to build a cruiser with fat rims and tyres, so I cut the other chainstay off so I could widen the rear end to take 24"x 3" rims with 3.45" tyres.
I brought a pair of 24"x 3" rims from US Cycles.

24x3side.jpg

So I had the rims powder coated I have decided to go with colour matched rims and frame, orange it is.

24x3orange4.jpg

I am running the Nexus 8 (painted gloss black) from the chopper

24x3orange3.jpg

On the front will be a NS Bikes disc hub

24x3front.jpg

I had to completely redo the top chainstay,

Giantsimple1.jpg

So I got some 19mm x 3mm tube bent.

180benttube.jpg

Here the rear end is almost ready for welding.

Giantsimple2.jpg

I am going to have rigid triple trees on the front, the tyre has 3 or 4mm clearance between these forks.

Ok this build has been on the very back burner.
I finially got the frame welded up and sandblasted ready to take the 80mm rim.

strippedframe2.jpg

strippedframe3.jpg

strippedframe1.jpg

I had the frame powder coated in a candy blue, which may sound like a strange colour to have with orange wheels, however I think it works.

Giantsimple3.jpg

Giantsimple4.jpg

Here it is finished.

Giantsimple5.jpg

Giantsimple6.jpg

Giantsimple7.jpg

Giantsimple8.jpg

/End

I am happy to answer any questions members may have on the bicycle, if i don't
know the answer i'll give Matt a qucik call and relay his answers for the folks here...

Again awesome job Matt ...now...RC MOTOR in the thing pal!!!

KiM

That is very nice! (in my best Borat accent) :mrgreen:

Later Travis

obviously you guys aren't from Denver. Them there's Bronco's colors. Seeing as I live in the Denver area, you MUST send it to me. It would help me get over my K.C. Chiefs fandom. Grew up in MO but have lived in CO off and on since jr. high.

G'day Guys...Matt has checked the link and appreciates the interest and comments, i shall up Matts other build my personal favourite this evening for you fellas to checkout...i think you will be impressed with that also...electric cruiser ~60km range an top speed of ~60km/hr ...

KiM

p.s we are alooong way from America guys no idea of these teams your talking of LoL..we play Footbal (Australian Rules Footbal NOT soccer) down here in Australia..

AussieJester said:
G'day Guys...Matt has checked the link and appreciates the interest and comments, i shall up Matts other build my personal favourite this evening for you fellas to checkout...i think you will be impressed with that also...electric cruiser ~60km range an top speed of ~60km/hr ...

KiM

p.s we are alooong way from America guys no idea of these teams your talking of LoL..we play Footbal (Australian Rules Footbal NOT soccer) down here in Australia..

Spent 9 days in Australia many many years ago. Ended up being able to go to a semi playoff game between Canberra and Sydney...the atmosphere was electric! It was straight out of Hollywood when the crowd broke out singing the team's song. That doesn't happen here in the states. The guys next to me were great, explained everything to me....although I did not understand it all, the nuances of the game, so I sheered and screamed and sang whenever my neighbor did. It was awesome...as you can tell, I can remember it now after so many years. Good times indeed.

orange and blue work well together 8)
i would'nt have believed it if i hadn't seen it myself.
your frame mods look great too!
100_1751.jpg

blue and orange oddly pair nicely, regardless of the fact they are exact opposite colors. :D GO TIGERS!

stretch said:
blue and orange oddly pair nicely, regardless of the fact they are exact opposite colors. :D GO TIGERS!

thats basic color wheel stuff. all contrasting colors (opposites on the color wheel) pair nicely. :) its one of the golden rules.

Back