Fat & Sassy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Frame Build

Yeah take a little tomorrow and see what you think. Should look pretty good.
You know I value your building talents.

Actually no Wimpy. I never thought about only the chain stay. Sensor had these cool bent stays and I
tried to figure out how to bend them. While I had my tubing bender out I just threw a couple bends
in mine to add something instead of a straight stay. I hope to try a cantilever for the top tube. I will
know in a while if it looks right. If not I will try something else. The last resort will be a straight tube
from the seat post down.

These are Sensors ...I don't have a bender that will do them. I can bend a 90 though. :roll:

IMG_0112.jpg

Did one similar on the wife's bike and remembered I liked it.
betterpics003-Copy.jpg

I need to quit. I'm building a variation of the same bike over and over again.
Think its time to take up bowling or ping pong. :shock: :shock: :shock:
DSCF0001-158.jpg

Thanks Uncle for the reply. I'll sure keep my eye on your build.
I didn't expect that minimalistic design on the rear part, but it looks pretty cool.
May I ask you what is it that you are using for bending the tubes?

I assume you're kidding right? Your bikes are fantastic!

Herku I use several benders. One for the long bends is a Harbor Freight roller bender. The 90 degree stuff
is done with a jd2 squared bender. It has a die and does bends like the chain stay.
Glad you like my bikes. I'm getting stagnant on the design end. Need to work on that.

Ok I got the 5/8'' tubing bent for the cantilever tubes. They are just tacked on , and will
need more work to make them work around the tire. You can see where this is going.

DSCF0001-159.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Herku I use several benders. One for the long bends is a Harbor Freight roller bender. The 90 degree stuff
is done with a jd2 squared bender. It has a die and does bends like the chain stay.
Glad you like my bikes. I'm getting stagnant on the design end. Need to work on that.

Ok I got the 5/8'' tubing bent for the cantilever tubes. They are just tacked on , and will
need more work to make them work around the tire. You can see where this is going.

DSCF0001-159.jpg
Nice! 8)

Uncle Stretch said:

DSCF0001-159.jpg
Hey Uncle Stretch
While I am new to bicycle design, I am not a stranger to design principles and practices. Something I do alot is get good proportions is to use good profiles photos of things I want to work with. I used the photo of the frame and tires you mocked up on the floor to use to give me proportions for the bike I designed for the little contest a couple of the members here are doing. It was just a simple matter of using that photo in an image editing program and than just scribbling some lines to see what kind of direction I would like to go... It's just than a matter of finding something that is pleasing to your eye and sense of design. You know from experience what dimensions work, so the design part is just an extension of that. If you are not comfortable with computers and image editing software, than it is just a matter of using a photo and some pencils.

Not trying to hyjak your thread, or sound like a know it all :D I just like watching the process others use, I learn, I try to share...

HTH

Rich

Thanks everybody.
Clancy the problem now is when the 5/8'' tube gets to the 1'' tube its going to look funny.
Still looking at a cool way to do it.

Rich I have used the photoshop before. I'm old and I find its easier to actually do something and then
see if it looks right. I look at builds a lot and try to picture what looks good and what doesn't. These canti
tubes look good but pose several problems. One the 5/8'' tubing doesn't have as much strength as I would like.
The second is just how it will look when a big tube intersects with a small tube. There will be a dropout in
the middle but I'm thinking it will look wrong.
So the fix is to figure out how to bend the 1'' U shape tube I have like the bottom one. If I can bend the same
curve as the canti tube, without messing it up then the problem is solved.

Do you have a 90 degree die or a 180 for the JD2. I heard you mention you can only do 90 degree bends, I was curious as to what you meant?
I see your point, but I think the dropout is going to help you break up the 2.

Rich

Uncle Stretch said:
Rich I have used the photoshop before. I'm old and I find its easier to actually do something and then
see if it looks right. .

Uncle Stretch, I'm old school too, I use the image editing program to sketch up concepts, than I go to the drafting board and
that is where compasses, and french curves come in :D.
But in the end you work with what is comfortable to you.

Rich

Rich I have a 180 degree die , but it won't do curved tubes. I don't have a 1'' die for my roller bender
and its really difficult to change the rollers in it anyway.

Deven I'm not sure how this will come out. My brother came up with a possible solution and I'm
going with it as we speak. I got my fingers crossed. For the cost of tubing , I'm not beyond cutting
it up and throwing it in the scrap pile. :roll:
DSCF0004-5.jpg

Maybe you need to brush up on your Looptail Skills, but this time carry the seat stays all the way forward for the canti-tubes?

DSCF0002-14.jpg

Cman.. that's nice. :D

Us... OK, understood now, I am using the model32, I understand the dies weight, i have 1 1/2" and 1", the dies.

For someone that had planned to hang up building custom frames, you sure have been on a tear lately.
I am really liking what you did with the cantis on this one.
Early on you said that you were going for a stubby looking design. Sounds like a cool name to me. Stubby.

Oh yeah I saw you have a roller bender too. I was going to ask you if while bending the tubing
do you sing ship songs while turning the big wheel back and forth? Like Yo Ho and a bottle of rum?
Maybe your not old enough. :p :p :p :p

Yeah Kingfish I have gone crazy lately. The bad thing is I feel like I just back off in
a mud hole with my truck....Stuck Like Chuck. I will figure it out but for now I'm doing way
more staring than building.
DSCF0002-138.jpg

DSCF0004-46.jpg

DSCF0001-160.jpg

Back